Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Allen Mag Shooters Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

My usual accuracy guarantee with one of my APS rifles is 1/2 moa at 100 yards for three shots fired off my shoulder with ammo I loaded.

Because of all the variable out there, its hard to say a rifle will be a 1/2 moa rifle in all conditions, in fact nearly impossible. In spite of what many may think, a 1/2 moa group at 100 yards is not as easy as one my think with a rifle like the big AMs loaded with the very long and heavy Wildcat bullets.

If they will shoot this well at close range, they will easily break 1/2 moa at long range in good conditions with good ammo and a quality shooter.

1/2 moa at 1000 yards, not touching that one. I would say nearly all of the customers rifles I have shipped out that were designed and built for 1000 yard shooting will do this relatively comfortably, again in good conditions, with good ammo and a good pilot.

At 1500 yards, I am more then happy with 3/4 moa but still not suprised to see a 1/2 moa group pop up.

At a mile, I am very happy with 3/4 moa and not unhappy with a 1 moa group. There have been those speical groups that break 1/2 moa at this range but they are not common, no matter what your shooting.

+2000 mile groups, 1 moa is very good, extremely good in fact. In good conditions with good ammo, a rifle that retains super sonic velocity to this range can generally break the 1 moa barrier with some sort of consistancy.

I have only shot at +2500 yards a couple times. All being with either my 7mm AM or 338 AM. The 7mm is a bit hard to spot hits with but it will remain consistant at ranges out to around 2800 yards at my altitude with a 200 gr ULD RBBT loaded to +3300 fps.

The 338 AM will get you around 2600 to 2700 yards with supersonic velocity with the 300 gr SMK. COnsistancy is generally 1 moa at these ranges depending on conditions.

With the prototype 265 gr AT RBBTs from Richard, I tested at 3008 yards and was getting solid moa groups until barrel heat from the wam temps pretty much stopped all reasonable testing. This is as far as I have seen any shoulder fired rifle produce predictable, consistant grouping. Now realize 1 moa at 3008 yards is just shy of 3 feet group size!!!

The rifles should do it, the limiting factors are us as humans screwing things up and also not knowing the exact range. As mentioned, it is VERY easy to think you have an accurate range measurement but be off by 30, 40 or even 50 yards. At ranges past 1200 yards or so, this becomes enough for bad things to happen.

Right now, rifle and bullet performance has outstrided what we can get for rangefinding equipment, at least as far as affordable civilian owned tools.

Hopefully that will catch up because we need that in a big way. Knowing the exact range measurement really turns the AMs into serious extreme range surgical instruments, not knowing the exact range, does not matter how much preformance is at the tip of your trigger finger.....

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Its hard to get a laugh out of you, thats for sure.

Quote:
Right now, rifle and bullet performance has outstrided what we can get for rangefinding equipment, at least as far as affordable civilian owned tools.

Hopefully that will catch up because we need that in a big way. Knowing the exact range measurement really turns the AMs into serious extreme range surgical instruments, not knowing the exact range, does not matter how much preformance is at the tip of your trigger finger.....
A couple of prairie dog shooters have offered me the loan of their Wilde.

Of course they have so much of my money that I can no longer afford to buy one of my own.

I bellieve I have found a place in West by God Virginia where I can shots some drops at a mile and 2K.

The Wyoming Nonresident Big Game application booklet came a couple of days ago and they now will allow you to draw for two reduced price antelope doe licenses with your buck license for only $48.00 each.

I am sending money to a Voodoo lady in New Orleans who claims she can make the wind lay in Wyoming for 48 hours.

The 240 Wby will stay home next year being as we are now past any range it can reliably kill at.

Go ahead and ask if I enjoy being retired.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

THe Wilde rangefinders are good instruments for what they are but as the range increases so does their error in measurements. It can range from 5 to 10% error from what I have read and seen with my own Wilde.

That said, when I really take my time, out to 2000 yards anyway, it will range within 10 to 15 yards of my Swari. If I rush things, it can easily be off by as much as 50 to 75 yards. They are a tricky instrument to get accurate with. Takes alot of practice but they do work well for what they are, just BIG!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Gold Member

I hope her name isnt Marie Lepogue!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

So when the big bull elk on top of the mountian looks out toward the East and says to the lead cow, "Here comes a truck load of trouble" do you think he is talking about the four rednecks in the F-150 crewcab throwing beer cans out the window?

I don't think so!
Thanks to BJ for the Swaro, Ebay for the Wilde and Kirby for the advice

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

I bellieve I have found a place in West by God Virginia where I can shots some drops at a mile and 2K
easy Bob! don't be slummin around in west-by-God thats my stompin grounds!
RR
Old 12-18-2007, 12:04 PM
SPONSOR

Nyles emailed me and asked me to post this pic of his new APS rifle. I will let him chime in with all the details. Heck of a good lookin gun and heck of a good lookin wall behind it. That Montana guy might know what he's doin!!!!!

"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST