Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Allen Mag Shooters Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Allen Mag Shooters Group

Slopeshunter,

Talking now as a hunter and shooter instead of a gunsmith, I hunted with big single shot handguns for around 13 years and got so used to having a single shot with me that now when I use a rifle, I never have any problems using a single shot rifle as well. Once you get used to it a single shot is just as fast to shoot as a repeater but has many advantages that I prefer over a repeater that have pretty much already been mentioned.

if your looking to have a long range rifle made, never overlook the simplistic beauty of a bolt action single shot. Repeaters work extremely well and are more then accurate enough for any shooting we could ever deal with when made properly but there is just special about using a one shooter.

Whats that old saying, "Heed the man that carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it!!"

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Did you guys build single shots or repeaters? What was your reasoning for going with what you chose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slopes,

I originally was going to do the single shot or ADL version, as that is what the donor action was, and that is the stock I ordered. However after thinking about it some, I went with the BDL conversion so I wouldn't be kicking myself later. Right now I have the BR follower installed and shoot it single shot. I just wanted the option of being able to go repeater as well as being able to drop the rounds from the mag with out having to use the bolt to do it.

It was just a personal preference. I figured that since I was spending the bucks, I might a well go ahead and get all the bells and whistles. If I ever decided to swap calibers or barrels I now have everything that I would need and don't have to add it into a later project.

IF it shoots better as an ADL due to being more rigid, I personally would have a damn hard time trying to prove it to myself or anyone else.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 06-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

thanks, kirby!

Can't wait to here about the new action and how the AX's work. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
"Heed the man that carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a excellent quote Kirby! I think it's a mental thing when one is used to using a bolt action with magazine, when you think about a single-shot, mentally it's like a step backwards "what no magazine" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. Even though I completely believe you when you say that over time one develops a system to quickly get that second round loaded.

Here's a question. When you're hunting long range, how often do you find that you need to get a second round in there?

Cheers!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 AM
SPONSOR

That is a damn good quote Kirby!! growing up i and being around a bunch of farmers everyone always had their truck gun, most were A-bolts and Savages in 223 or something. One old guy always had a Browning High Wall in 6mm Rem and that always meant something to me, plus the grizzled old SOB could shoot too!!!!!!

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Slopeshunter,

Realize a couple things, long range hunting is a very deliberate type of hunting. The game generally has no idea that a pair of eyes is even upon them. The animals are calm, generally feeding or bedded and there is no hurry at all.

Also, you are set up in most cases at a position with rifle, ranging gear, drop charts, spotters and ammo sitting there ready to roll. You have plenty of time to set up, you have plenty of time to get ready for the shot and you have plenty of time to shoot.

By the time the trigger pulls on that first shot, everything is and has been in place generally for quite some time. Its getting prepared before hand that will make you successful more then anything. That has to do with practice on the rifle but also in being prepared for that second shot.

As far as your question about how often I need a second shot when shooting at long range. I will be honest, it happens. Here in Montana, I took 5 head of game at ranges from 310 to 745 yards. That was with 6 shots total being fired. The one miss I had was on my whitetail buck. He was at a measured 650 yards, I set up but made the mistake of leaving the sling on the rifle wrapped to the outside of the rear sand bag. I was laying on a slight angled hill and when the 7mm AM recoiled, the rifle was pulled to the right and thats exactly where the bullet landed.

The buck ran out, having no idea at all where the shot came from or where he should run to be safe, I quickly unhooked the rear sling attachment, ranged the buck at 745 yards and made the second shot count through the shoulders. Other then that the game I took in Montana last fall were all one shot kills with the average kill range at 618 yards.

Another example was my Idaho hunt with Shawn Carlock for whitetails. I will admit, I missed a fine whitetail at a relatively comfortable 720 yards. The reason was simple, canyon winds got me and Also I did not have the rear of the rifle solidly supported.

A couple days after that we found a very nice buck and watched him walk a couple hundred yards up a game trail until he finally gave us a shot. The first shot was a killing shot but impacted at the back of the lungs/liver area. In the area we were hunting I wanted to shoot until I could not see the buck any more. I put four bullets into that buck in roughly 35 seconds out of a single shot rifle. The reason he stuck around that long was because the first shot had done severe damage and the buck was really unable to run, also, again, the buck was totally calm when he got hit, no adrenilen to get him running. This is a huge bonus to long range hunting.

A repeating rifle would not have been any faster and all hits were to the vitals.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Hopefully soon I will have alot to talk about with both!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com