Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Allen Mag Shooters Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: Allen Mag Shooters Group

Did you guys build single shots or repeaters? What was your reasoning for going with what you chose.

tks
Old 06-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Slopeshunter,

The boys are getting you good information to your questions and I always feel its better to get it from actual customers then the rounds creater anyway, less bias information for the public.

But if you want any specific rifle information, feel free to drop me an e-mail at the address below in my signature.

Other then that, it looks like your questions are being taken care of very well!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Other then that, it looks like your questions are being taken care of very well!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, the info coming back from the boys has been great [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

Maybe I missed it somewhere but has the 300 AX draw blood yet?

I think this beast could persuade me into using a so called wildcat cartridge.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Slopeshunter,

My 270 AM has about 230 rounds through it. Most of them were used to learn how to reload for the cartridge. I've never paid any attention to COL and setting back shoulders before. Also I spent quite a few rounds shooting at long range before I was really ready to. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Plus throw in the shots spent field calibrating a drop chart to the Mil Dot reticle then switching to clicking in MOA. My largest adjustment was/is to the fact that the rifle is accurate enough that I can notice atmospheric changes ("Hg, Hum, etc.) from range session to range session.

I went with the single shot for the following reasons.

- ADL stocks are supposedly a bit more stiff than BDL stocks.

- The glued in aluminum block is bound to stiffen the action at least a little bit.

- Not handicapped by magazine length and 'potential' feeding issues.

- Never bothered with flattened bullet tips.

- I like the idea of a single shot. If your prepared a second shot, if necessary, it isn't that far behind the first. If you have a spotter with you then reloading begins immediately upon firing the first shot as they can call the shot for you. At times I don't have a spotter, thus my expectation of seeing ALL of my own hits

- Oh yeah, I almost forgot. It was less expensive as the 721 bottom metal is not nice and I gave my BDL bottom metal to some fella in Slidell, LA. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

Thanks Roy, appreciate it!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Supermag,

No big game blood has been spilt with the 300 AX yet but this fall it will be. I have not decided what I will use on my elk hunt. It will either be a 300 AX or a 338 AX. I will take them both and which ever one I have in my hands when I run into a bull will be the one used.

I am currently waiting on a specially designed barrel from Satern barrels for my 300 AX that will hopefully work well with the thin jacketed bullets as well as the heavy jacketed bullets. When that barrel gets here I will do more testing and keep you up to date.

My new APS Raptor receiver is almost finished as well so I will be reviewing my new receiver here soon as well!!!

Hard to sleep at night with all this fun stuff, then throw a new little baby girl on top of it and I really get tired quick!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com