Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Allen Mag Shooters Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Allen Mag Shooters Group -In the interest of sharing info

I can't believe you'd put that fine piece of southern engineering brilliance on such a rusty old drill!!!

Now I know how you can afford all that glass you've been buying. You've been using the same drill since '73!!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Gold Member

Hey Bob,

I was thinking about something similar only using my cordless. Chuck the case up in the hand chuck, then run it in reverse in front of the torch. When the temp paint melts grab the chuck and let the case fall into the pan.

Haven't given it a try yet, but it will hold cases up to the UM size with no problems. Just need some time around the house to work out the finer points.

With so much to do in the country now that hunting season is over, not sure when that will be.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

BB,

Don't worry about the temp paint. When you anneal, turn most of the lights off, like your setting the mood with your sweetie(your wife, not rifles!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Apply your heat source to the neck area of your case. It will depend on the intensity of your heat source how far you need to hold off the case.

You do not want to turn the necks bright red in color. What you want is a dull red, just when the case starts to show sign of turning red. This is where the low light conditions help you see it better then in bright light.

If you get the case necks to red, they will loose their ability to actually hold a bullet and you will be in a pickle!!

What you want is the neck to heat up at a rate where it will turn this dull red color about the time the discoloration ring from the heat works its way about 1/4" down below the case shoulder. Will just take some playing to get it right. Once you do it will be no problem.

As far as setting the case anneal where you want it. Most common way is to drop the case into a bucket of water as quickly as possible once you get the heating color you want.

That said, I have talked to many that just let their cases air dry and they report they get good results but no doubt they do loose some of the annealing properties doing this.

I have been in a hurry at times and instead of using water I have let my compressor build up about 125 psi and use air to cool the necks as well.

YOu apply your heat until you get the color you want and then quickly pull the torch away and apply the compressed air via a high pressure nozzle right on the case neck area.

This is certainly not as fast at cooling the necks as water but its pretty darn quick to cool down the case. Almost instantly the neck will turn dark when the air hits it.

You also do not have to worry about drying cases properly either this way. Just a bit less mess but you have to be able to juggle the air hose and torch at the same time!!!

Most important, do not over heat the cases. Not getting hot enough is better then overheating in most cases. As long as you are seeing some discoloration in the cases you are getting some annealing occuring.

To test, you can take an annealed case and a pair of pliers and gentally squeeze the case necks, they should crush easily under the pressure of the pliers and when the pressure is relieved they should stay crushed with no spring back.

Do not totally colapse the case neck, just a slight squeeze will tell you what you need and then just run that case through the FL die and its back ready to be loaded.

Good luck, looks like your contraption will work fine, just watch that lock bolt flying around when your annealing!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Roy,

No more trade secrets for you!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

We could get three men and a boy on my lathe and they would bust 8 nuts before they would be able to knock it out of level!!!

Have fun with your new little monster, be careful!! It may not be huge but it will still take off whatever gets in its way as far as fleshy parts!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Allen Mag Shooters Group

dude, Not trying to be a smart ass but you guys must be going for the longest post in history.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

buffalobob,

This is the case holder from a Lee OAL Case Trim thing. About $7.95 or so.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

bb you'd make a good mopar racer i was all ways have to fabracate some part or tool i couldnt find when i was racing my 69 dart