Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Allen Mag Shooters Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Gold Member

Re: Allen Mag Shooters Group

Wildcat,

I see no reason why it has to be caliber specific. The info posted here will hopefuly help someone get a better idea of things, before having to burn up compeoents and barrel life. Personally, I would much rather find and hit a load quickly, then spend the other time, learing to put these things to their true potential.

One thing mentioned in past threads is fire forming cases with cornmeal. Well I thought about is, loaded some up, then after spilling it everywhere, decided to just use bullets. It does work and does save barrel time, but for me, just wasn't what I was accustomed to. Luckily, the FF load I am using shoots excellent out to 500yd easily, and should be good much further for small game up to deer or hogs.

My FF load is 98grs of 872 under a 150gr Nosler Solid Base. I will be trying out the BT as soon as i pick some up to see if they shoot as well. IF so I will switch over to them. This load gets, low to mid 3400fps from my rifle and will group around 1" at 500yds. Cases are Remington 7mm RUM, necked down to the point I can just feel them touch when I close the bolt. There is about a 1/16" or so of neck that doesn't get sized. I have not sen any issues with pressure using this load up to temps of 98 degrees, and 100% humidity.

I will most likly end up using the 169.5's after I finish up with this batch of cases, for any future FF rounds. But that might be sometime next year. I have loads for everything and will most likly only be shooting a few here and there to maintain my skills at different ranges, and to hunt with.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 10-07-2006, 09:39 AM
SPONSOR

Maybe add the case forming steps and pictures(how they should look) for forming the 270-338AM's.

I can't believe the velocities you guys are getting with the 270AM's......Now I am going to have to have one of them built once the 7mmAM is finished.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Mike, this sounds like it will be a good place to search for Allen Mag info.

Wildcat
Old 10-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Gold Member

TMR,

"for forming the 270-338AM's"
Are you referring to the .277 AM or just forming all of the different cases in general from the .270 up thru the 338?

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 10-08-2006, 10:04 AM
SPONSOR

Maybe an overview of all the cases. Would maybe give everyone an idea of how to make them. Might save alot of questions down the road as popular as these cartridges are getting.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

I can't believe the velocities you guys are getting with the 270AM's......Now I am going to have to have one of them built once the 7mmAM is finished.

[/ QUOTE ]

TMR, I know where a 270AM can be had. You would have it most likely before you recieve your 7AM. Tim [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TMR, I know where a 270AM can be had. You would have it most likely before you recieve your 7AM. Tim [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim.....been thinking about it. It is really the little woman that would like to have it for her new hunting rifle.