Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Allen Mag Shooters Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: More of learning curve & experience -In the interest of sharing in

I'm gonna go kill something and join up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I hit My Board!!!!

I hit my board! I hit my board! I hit my board!

Was doing the drop chart thing in the back yard. Got a good solid 300 yd zero. Took the target back to 525yds as that was the only place in the field that had something to lean the target holder against. Got a good setting at 525 yds.

Drop was running about 1 MOA low. Got pretty tired of all that walking (thinking of upgrading from a 270AM to a 375 AM, bigger holes!). Had two shots left so I figured, why not throw a couple at that board I nailed to a fence post about 3 years ago and have never shot at. I cranked in the settings from my draft drop chart, pretty much knowing that I would be about an MOA low and fired away. It was good to see the bullets strike the ground with each shot. (Working on a stock design that will pretty much assure spotting hits w/every shot. If setup is solid, that is.)

I put that board up 3 years ago (3' high by 2' wide) to practice ranging with the Mil Dot (Which didn't work so well) Even with the range finder I don't know the range. I have to range it in 2 segments and I don't remember to write it down. Its something like 1030 or 1113 yards [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I just held in the center both ways and let'r rip. Hits in the snow looked pretty close together. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Then I had to make the walk. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Hits were 1 MOA low and 1 MOA to the right and about 6" apart and that's shooting prone off of a piece of carpet in the snow with a 2-bit flimsy bipod (as they all are, so far). When I get this big girl zero'd the yotes are gonna have a problem.

BTW, the damage to the frozen blow sand was very impressive. A really nice creater and shrapnel spread over a 10' circle. I appears as though those 195 WCs are build pretty good.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:43 AM

Hey Roy,
I also live in Blackfoot.
Shoot me an E-mail when you have time and mabye I could join you at the range? I would love to see the performance of your rig!!! Also you could probably teach me a few things.

tom_n_kara@hotmail.com
Old 01-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Gold Member

Roy, dont shoot up all your brass........you are hard core dude I havn't seen 17 degrees in the south but twice in a lifetime(36),,,,years

Your one hardcore dude! but im learning!

They shouldnt sell that much beer!

A beanfiled at 20 degrees is a sight to see.....
Old 01-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Twern't nothin' really [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] A couple of days ago it was -6*F and I was shootin'. Finger tips actually hurt when turning the turrets. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

However I did learn that US-869 is pretty temperature stable form -6 to 26 degrees. I'll see what those loads do this summer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: More of learning curve & experience -In the interest of sharing in

buffalobob:

Does this qualify as "smokin fur"??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] This one was pretty short range, but the fur was smokin until that red stuff blew all over the smokin fur and put the fire out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Roy:

Good shooting. Sure wish I had a back yard like that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]