Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

AI awp moderator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

AI awp moderator

Hello ,

Has anyone got any views about moderators? I am about to take delivery of An AI AWP in .243 and maybe have a T8 suppressor fitted. Will the thread have any effect on the barrel accuracy without suppressor? Some people I have spoken to say they have accuracy problems with them fitted.

Thanks Jeza
Old 01-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: AI awp moderator

Jeza, you tend to find that accuracy improves slightly with a properly fitted moderator. wether its the moderator acting on the barrel, or just the fact that the rifle is quieter and more comfortable to shoot is open for discussion, but a moderator is a good idea. It is now under health and safety a required item if shooting is involved in your job. all the FC Rangers are getting mods fitted and i guess the military will eventualy go this way to, also the police.
The Reflex is the best of the bunch that where tested by the commission, it has its limitations, but it works well. Have a competent gunsmith thread your barrel and fit the moderator. Border Barrels will do it for you i would think. Just threading your barrel wioll not harm the accuracy any.
You might notice a change in point of impact from a non threaded barrel to a threaded barrel with thread cap, but it will be minimal. make sure the thread cap is tight. you will notice a change of impact between mod fitted and not fitted, due to the effect on the harmonics of the barrel.you can note the difference and adjust for it quite simply.
Best Regards Pete
Old 01-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Bronze Member

I'm about to show my ignorance, but what is a AI awp moderator?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'm about to show my ignorance, but what is a AI awp moderator?

[/ QUOTE ]

Accuracy international tactical rifle

Moderator = suppressor = silencer = can

con on my 223 only drops POI about 1MOA at 100yds. other than that, no diff.

JB
Old 01-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

your AI must be stinging you. hope you bought the biathlon sling to lug it around, or maybe a pallet lifter instead [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

just kidding though. you might also want to consider the Jet-Z suppressor as well. it's very very good and smaller than the T8.... bit more expensive though.

poi change should be less than 4moa on a well fitted mod. don't leave it on after stalking or shooting as the condensation will do wonders to your bore.

cheers

derek
Old 01-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone! Just imagine buying your dream rifle instantly modifying it and finding out you have made it 10% or so less accurate , thats what I was worried about!

I shall go ahead and thread.

Derek , Yes it is a stinger but lifes too short!
My L200 bipod extention will help with the wieght problem during some situations I recon.

Cheers Jeza
Old 01-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

hi jeza

i have an AE. i didn't think the aw was worth almost double the price.

it would shoot sub 1/4moa no worries. have since sent it off to be rebarrelled to 260 rem to stretch out a little further with it. i don't think you will be dissappointed with yours. the biathlon sling is a must for AI rifles though.

derek