Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Aftermarket stocks for Sako

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Aftermarket stocks for Sako

Just bought a Sako A7. You would think Sako would put a better composite stock on their rifles. It's gotta go, but after looking I can't find any aftermarket stocks (drop-ins) for the A7. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Aftermarket stocks for Sako

I looked into one for my Sako 85 Finnlight and McMillan was the only one that made them at the time. If you take a good look at the actiona nd recoil lug, you will know why. Your best bet might be getting a blank and have it professionally inletted and bedded.

No more Sakos for me. Too bad, they have a real sweet action.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 01-20-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
Just bought a Sako A7. You would think Sako would put a better composite stock on their rifles. It's gotta go, but after looking I can't find any aftermarket stocks (drop-ins) for the A7. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I had the same problem with a Sako S491 and found that I could use a short action
Remington ADL stock (The bedding screw centers were almost identical ) and the Sako floor
metal could be inlet-ed in to the remington ADL stock for a perfect fit.

If you can find a stock with the same action screw spacing in an ADL style then it should work.

I also made a new recoil lug that would fit the existing recoil lug opening in the stock.

If this sound like to much for you then talk to Joel Russo and if anyone can cut you a stock
he he can.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 01-20-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

I have emailed both Mcmillan and H S Pre. and if they can't help it might have to be Joel or the like. The rifle shoots great and I could leave it alone but with a good stock it would only get better
Old 01-24-2010, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

The Weatherby Vanguard rifle action is made by Howa in Japan. The Howa action (Vanguard) is an "almost" direct copy of the original Sako L and AV series receivers. In theory, any aftermarket stock designed for the Weatherby Vanguard should fit the Sako actions with a small amount of inletting and of course, proper bedding. The new model Sako's differ in the bolt/ lock up system and the stupid piece of square bar stock that runs along the bottom of the receiver for the magazine release. Apart from the need to key into the stock to fit the piece of bar stock, the basic casting of the action is the same as it always has been. If you get a chance, see if you can get your hands on a Vanguard stock to check the basic fit and hole centers. You can also get an insight to the underside of a Howa action on my site- I used a Howa action as a demo for my bedding compound instructions. It might help you a bit, just as an initial look anyway.
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/matchgrade.html

Nathan.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

If this sound like to much for you then talk to Joel Russo and if anyone can cut you a stock
he he can.

J E CUSTOM
+1 on that...The man is like a wizard with wood
Old 01-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Kiwi Nate, Thanks for the info, I will try the Vanguard for a fit. I also looked at your web site and will probably order your Matchgrade Bedding Compound and the Synthetic Stock Stabilizer. Do you provide enough intructions for a capable DIY ? Thanks again, Walt