Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Advise on scope mounting issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 09:29 PM

Advise on scope mounting issue

I have a Stag Model 6 Super Varminter outfitted with a LaRue Tactical SPR/M4 Quick Detach mount. I can get it to shoot darn near into the same hole at 100 yds, but to do so I have to turn my horizontal and verticle adjustment knobs 3/4 of the way to the end of their adjustment range.

With the scope's adjustment knobs in the middle of their adujstment range I mounted the upper in a gun vise and sighting through the bore on a 3" bullseye at about 35 yds., and the cross hairs are about 4 inched low and to the left.

It seems to me that I should be able to sight the gun in at 100 yds without getting so close to the end of the range of the scope's adjustment knobs.

I'm wondering if maybe my piccaninny rail isn't in line with the bore, or my LaRue mount wasn't made to be square and in line with the rail. Could this be why I have to use so much of my scope's knob adjustment range to get my scope on the bulleseye, or am I making too much of nothing?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Advise on scope mounting issue

I am not familiar with your mount. But I have rails on my bolt guns, the vertical can be changed by shimming tube, .001'' is a guesstimate for 1'' @ 100. Or get a slopped rail. But something sounds off center. I would swap a different scope and that would take scope out of equation. Can the QD SCOPE MOUNT be reversed, try that and it could be better if both base and mount are off a given distance
Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: Advise on scope mounting issue

Without knowing the truth, I'd sooner blame Stag than LaRue, but anything can be the culprit. Have you had other mounts on the rifle? Have you removed the barrel and is it square in the receiver? If the barrel nut is not perpendicular to the pic rail, that will cause what you're seeing. I'd guess that's probably the most likely problem. You can get the upper receiver trued if you want, but if it shoots well how it is, I wouldn't bother.