Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Advice Needed on Bipods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Advice Needed on Bipods

Better late than never, if you haven't purchased a bipod I would suggest the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bipod. Stoney Point - Rapid Pivot Bipod Sitting / Kneeling
I have used a harris for a long time as well as the stoney point steady sticks and various knock offs and home-made jobs as well. I think the Rapid Pivot system is far superior in its versatility than the other bipods out there. I bought the sitting/kneeling one for calling and the prone one for LR shooting. Switching them is a breeze and between the two you'll never need another rest when hunting.
Fed 210M
Nosler Case

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .30 CAL View Post
Better late than never, if you haven't purchased a bipod I would suggest the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bipod. Stoney Point - Rapid Pivot Bipod Sitting / Kneeling
I have used a harris for a long time as well as the stoney point steady sticks and various knock offs and home-made jobs as well. I think the Rapid Pivot system is far superior in its versatility than the other bipods out there. I bought the sitting/kneeling one for calling and the prone one for LR shooting. Switching them is a breeze and between the two you'll never need another rest when hunting.
Thanks for the info. Is this the model that can be attached to the forearm sling attachment for shooting, then easily removed after the hunt? The ideal bipod for me would allow for easy carrying, easy attachment, tilt left or right, rotate 360 degrees, be easily adjustable, and be long enough (around two feet or so) to allow shooting from a sitting position. Also the legs would have to be sturdy enough to not bend under the weight of my heavy bench rest rifle. Price is a consideration also. If the Rapid Pivot Bipod fills the bill, I would definitely be interested.
Unread 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Bronze Member

Sounds like the rapid pivot bipod is what you're looking for. Pick one up you won't be dissappointed. Shop around though, I got mine from optics planet with a coupon. 39 bucks is about average I think I paid 34. Midway has it for 44. The sitting/kneeling one is the one that will fit your needs the best.
Fed 210M
Nosler Case
Unread 02-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

I checked out the Stoney web site. They offer the pivots in several different heights. I will probably go with the 24-36" version for coyotes, since I shoot sitting down (who doesn't??) with some type of bush, rock, etc. behind me.
Unread 02-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

My buddy slung one of those under his 11 lbs gun last weekend for some coyote calling and it worked very well, I'm running the folding version and it has legs like arrow shafts but is sturdier than it looks but after swiping my buddies for a stand I like his better, way sturdy but still swivels and moves with you very well, you wouldn't be disappointed in it for coyote calling it's the best I have had for that.
Unread 02-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Silver Member

Well, thanks for the advice, guys. Looks like I will buy the swivel bipod. I really appreciate the help.
Unread 02-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

You should check out the atlas bipod. They are very sturdy although a little pricey. A guy had one at the local range last weekend, I ordered one as soon as I got home...