Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

accuracy awp ,schmidt and bender take a dive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Re: accuracy awp ,schmidt and bender take a dive

What is this ZERO SHIFT thing you brought up, do you have a link to more detail on this issue?

Unread 11-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

I had a 3.5x15x50NXS that would track very erraticlly. Over-correction for click value mostly, and a windage shift to the right when bringing elevation down. It took two trips back to Nightforce, but they made good one it and the new one has worked flawlessly for the last 18 months.

I would buy another Nightforce if the price was right, but it would get box tested at least twice a year.

I have two leupolds in 1000y service right now. A 24x br and a 8.5x24x50LR M1. Both have proven to be excellent for my needs and track very well.

If S&B was reasonable with their prices, I would have to take a look at them. It's my understanding that they have a new long range scope in the works. Something along the lines of a 5.5x35x50, with the big tube. I haven't seen it yet, but there was talk of it at the F class world championships in South Africa. That would be a sweet piece, but I'd have to sell a car to buy it.

Maybe S&B should start up an assmebly plant here in the US. That might get the price down to the $1200 mark. Still to much, but workable.

Unread 11-13-2005, 02:27 AM
Gold Member

Hi Chris, good to see you still kicking buddy, say hi to the missus from mine and if you get a trip organised to the fatherland i'll show you all the S&B's you want to see..

thats one of the issues i was on about. repeatability of the turrets, ive heared of many NXS and Leupolds with non repeatable turrets, ive not heraed of any S&B PMII's with the same problem, i have heared of a PMII with repeatable, but not what the click value should be adjustment, which suggested to me a metric engraved moa adjustment.
In addition.
There is an inherant problem in all 2nd focal plain scopes, it is to do with the way the scope is built and the position, within the mechanical internals of the scope. as you wind up the magnification, the possition of the reticle within the actual scope moves, this is why you see no apparent size increase or decrease in the reticle, it moves in relationship to the possition of your eye and to the lenses front and rear.
the tracking of this movement is only as good as the machining and fit of the parts which interact with each other to allow this movement, tollerances, in materials, machining and assembly in this area will see you with a different zero from lets say 6x to 14x.
on a 1st focal plain scope, the reticle stays in 1 possition, other parts move when you up and down the x value, which is why the reticle apparently changes size (it doesn't realy change size, at least not in relation to the size of the target). the retciel is fixed withing the elevation and windage adjustable internals.

if you like, a 1st focal plain reticle is adjsutable through 2 axis. up down, left right.

a 2nd focal plain is adjustable through 3 axis, up down, left right back and forth.

the more directions of adjustment, the more the chance of inaccuracies.

cheers Pete
Occupying the British Zone.