Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

accuracy awp ,schmidt and bender take a dive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

accuracy awp ,schmidt and bender take a dive

Just thought I would report in with the results of my latest equipment test/accident.

It was about midnight very calm and quite warm.
The awp sat on top of my pickup roof with my electricians 10mm rubber mat covering the cab to protect the paint and make a reasonable surface to shoot off.
I had just put it there from the ground and stood on the wheel to jump in the buck when it passed me kind of rolling off the truck roof!

To my slow motion horror it hit the ground bounced a bit and continued into a ditch [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
There was no round chambered but the magazine was in place.

When I got it out I brushed it down and it seemed to be OK.

I am not sure what type of mounts these are but they are steel weaver and they seem to have done their job.

Every thing seems to have survived, since then I have shot .36moa @ 100mtrs and the same at 350mtrs off the same roof at night!
There seems to have been a 15mm right shift in zero @100Mtrs and that's it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Well done to awp ,schmidt and bender!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: accuracy awp ,schmidt and bender take a dive

Hey Pete, is "Jeza" your second nick on this forum? Just kidding... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

Yes, can someone throw a Leupold off a truck.
All in the name of science of course! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Wasn't a Leupold but a Burris Signature...

I hit a hog hole a while back, cutting across one of our pastures, while cruising at a pretty good clip on my 4 wheeler. THe rifle flew out of the rack on the front about three feet or more in the air, and came down scope first on the top of the steel tubing which goes around the front rack. From there it was again bounced up in the air another couple of feet, as I was trying to stop, catch the rifle, and keep from going over the handle bars all in the same motion. Needless to say, that when the brakes went on, and I started forward over the top I let off the brakes, at which point the 4 wheeler ended up on top of the rifle.

Did it shift the point of impact? Yes it did. But it only took three shots on paper to get it back from the several inches it was off and has held up every since.

Just one more reason for me to pursue those danged hogs with extreme predudice.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 10-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I do know aguy who bought a brand new Nightforce and after mounting it with NF bases and rings went out and zeroed it, then proceded to hold his rifle out at arms length upside down and drop it on a hard dirt and gravel drive way. He is 6'3" tall. There was visible cosmetic damage to the out side of this scope. No zero change. This was done all in the name of science! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

I know a guy who ran over his 375 H&H with his landcruiser but it was in the name of jack daniels not science [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Gold Member

A Montana poke I work with fell headlong down a mountain in I-d-ho chas'in an elk with a Burris mounted on a Sendero...Scope went back to Burris for some adjustment, the poke needed some too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
db