Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

4WD Cars and other shooting rigs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Silver Member

4WD Cars and other shooting rigs

Hey fellas in Australia what kinda shooting rig do use have? Is it true in America it's illegal to shoot from a car even when on private property? Me I have a 60 series land cruiser with a few added extras like roof mounted spot light, but I'm thinking of getting rid of it and a 2001 Toyota hilux with the extra cab and extended tray. If any of you guys have or had a hilux like this what did you think of them
Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 4WD Cars and other shooting rigs

I believe all States are different when it comes to shooting from a vehicle. In Wyoming, we can shoot from a vehicle so long as our feet are on the ground (for game animals) I don't believe there is a rule when it comes to predators/varmints. I know many old farts that spotlight varmints and predators from the cab or bed of the truck. Dad and I used to spotlight all the time with his old Chevy Silverado. It had a roof mounted spotlight.

Here's my truck, all covered in mud from some spring rain a few years back.
it's a 1 ton Duramax/Allison lifted 6" with 463 gears, e-locker in front and limited slip with trackion bars in rear.
35" tires and 12000 lb Warne winch. Bullydog power chip. 6 extra shocks on the front end.
Truck not counting the mud weighs just under 10000 lbs. 8 1/2' tall at the top of the tire on the headache rack. It pulled that big 35' fifth wheel for many thousands of miles before I retired it to off road use. Kinda hard to get into sometimes, but it handles the rutted and washed out two tracks pretty well. Mud doesn't get very deep where I hunt, just super duper slippery.

I don't know the toyota, got any pics?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
4WD Cars and other shooting rigs-mud3.jpg   4WD Cars and other shooting rigs-mud5.jpg  

4WD Cars and other shooting rigs-mud6.jpg  

Last edited by SBruce; 09-20-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Mate that is one serious beast I want it. No pictures yet mate, I'm still pretty new to the computer world just still learning the basics so as soon as I figure how to up load pictures I'll send in a one. My landcruiser isn't like ur rig though I wish it was. I payed $1500 and re painted it took all the dents out restored it pretty much it was a real mess when I got it but it looks good now.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Not from down under but.....

No pics, sorry. It's nothing but a 4 door Suzuki Sidekick with the biggest rubber I can get under it.

It's a little puny in character but has taken me everywhere I wished, so far.

Next upgrade is tracks for the little sucker.

If I could get one with the diesel engine as is sold down there it would be a perfect machine.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Yea, I like off road trucks/cars

If I could make a Baja race buggy practical for everyday use, that would be tits!!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Silver Member

Yeh that's what I like about my rig that its both road worthy and off road, but I want a new one that's more comfy to drive my rig at the moment is a rough bastard when you go long distance you feel every bump but those land cruises were never made for comfort but durability. How are those huge yank tanks go like for comfort and fuel wise?

Our australian dollar is near on par with your American dollar so how much does your fuel go for a litre. Just curious.

Iv also got a Suzuki quad bike 250cc 4wd haven't really used it as much as I'd like, gunna a hand held spot light on it and make a rifle rack on it. I like to build the stuff myself doesn't always turn out like you would like but saves money and you don't learn ****.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

Diesel has been running about $4 per gallon here lately. That truck will get anywhere from 16-18 miles per gallon if I set the cruise on 60 mph. It goes down to about 13-14 if I drive the speed limit or faster. The ones that are bone stock supposedly get over 20 mpg on the highway, but they don't have any ground clearance.

Comfort isn't too bad, not as nice as a 1/2 ton pickup but not bad at all considering what it is built for. I've got air bags on the rear to support the extra weight, but they make the ride rougher too. Seems there is never a perfect compromise.