Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

.338 PGW Timberwolf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Silver Member

Agreed in a Mc. Slow A5 it looks very, very good. The only question is a pure A5 or A5/A3 hybrid.

David.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:09 AM
Silver Member

Well

it all depends on wether it will be available in the UK, if not, then other things may have to be considered.

However, if it is to be available, I would have it in an A5, or Manners T4A.

As an aside, I ordered a Manners T4A last night for another project, was quoted 12 weeks to delivery. Roll on January!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Gold Member

David, Andy,

Just PM'd you both with a short essay!
Old 11-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Have you ever shot an mp5?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald89 View Post
Have you ever shot an mp5?
Sniff. Wipe nose with back of hand. 'Yeah'.

(I think the ID 'Gerald89' has rather lost that parachute-into-Grozny 'Jeza' cachet)

Last edited by Brown Dog; 11-23-2007 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:07 AM

Ronin/Andy,

One of the difficulties with rifles such as these is getting "value" from it which involves how often you can shoot it and where and what type of ammunition you can use. For a versatile set up why not consider a BAT single shot .338 action with an A5 or better is a Robertson's GBF class stock which you can tap on the fore end base for either an Anschultz rail to use a Harris with Pod Lock as shown by BD and pod paws or get fitted for an Accuracy forend pin and bi-pod set up.

Used with a bench rest and Jewel trigger and a 30-338 barrel for the .240g SMK's this could be used on any gallery range if the mussle energy limit amendments being presently considered are successful and revert to an energy level which previously was allowed. This enables you to compete in F Open class comps and this rifle combo was used to win the F Class National League.

Using the same set up with a .338 barrel and bi-pod/moderator enables you to shoot ultra long range at Sennybridge or Warcop etc....

Get the stock paint job to suit a military/cammo taste and a sand blasted action and barrel finish and you have an excellent dual purpose rifle.

You can probably do the above plus buy an action wrench and barrel clamp for the same money you will pay for a Timberwolf once importers have converted dollars to pounds which seems to be the "usual" way they approach matters....

I would wait until January of next year to find out what is happening before doing anything but I mention the above as I was considering the same type of project as yourself......

The 30-338 option enables you to shoot much more often if still allowed on ranges like Stickledown - Blair Atholl - ( the later may not be affected ) and F Open Class is a great way to develop L/R ability with most League shoots going out to 1000 yards and some 1200 yards.

There is also nothing to stop you buying an extra bolt and having either a Magnum or .308 bolt face for other calibre options....

Just a thought anyway.....I appreciate some people only want to do a given type of shooting and maybe the military/bi-pod rifle then works out fine....how often can you shoot these though?

BD

The Hensolt scope with 72mm objective is excellent but the increments are 1cm at 100m which are a bit coarse...( designed for speed when shooting in a military role - as opposed to targets/hunting ). I had one and changed mine for the same scope by Zeiss with .5cm clicks at 100m - about 1/6MOA - and this version still has sufficient come up ability to go past 2000 yards with the right incline rail. A tip if this is preferable is to order an extra vertical scope cap as the windage cap on the Zeiss model lacks numbers and using a vertical cap which has them keeps you much more informed as to the windage on the scope. The vertical range on the Zeiss Diavari 6-24 x 72 is 62 MOA which with 1/6 MOA clicks makes for a great scope. It can be used on 10X to give an optimum 7mm exit pupil ratio and for night vision is superb......

I have kept this scope and just sold my S&B PMII Gen2 second F/P 5-25 X 56 for this reason.

HTH

PETERW.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:32 PM

pretty good thread here
http:// w w w.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182681&highlight=timberwolf

I hope I am not breaking the rules by posting the link. A couple of owners are talking about it on here.

Cheers,
Craig