Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

.338 PGW Timberwolf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Andy,

I think these pics should give you a better idea of the Timberwolf. I've shown it next to a 338 AWM for comparison.

Ergonomically the rifle feels a little RPKish (...if you know what I mean!) ....I absolutely did not like the solid metal molded stock (all the areas that look silver / grey are bare solid metal (...rather surprising for a rifle from Canada!). Although I have to admit, it feels seriously robust. The folding stock was a 'once a day' type arrangement rather than 'every 20 minutes'; but offered wildly strong lock up. The trigger was excellent.

By all accounts, it's received rave reviews by those over here who've seriously tested it (and it's no longer just in service with the Cdn Army!).

How you would choose between it and an AWM; I don't know!

[most impressive was the scope, 4-16x56 hensoldt....SMALLER than the 3-12x50 PM2 on the AWM!!! ....anyone want to buy my 4-16 PM2? ]

Last edited by Brown Dog; 10-31-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

another 4 pictures:

I have no idea how you would make a choice between the two rifles!

...perhaps you could opt for something at the other end of the spectrum :

Last edited by Brown Dog; 10-31-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Thanks for the reply, I believe that Colt has something to do with their distribution now, which may make one easier to get in my country. Not sure about what the lead time will be though....
i'm not sure on this one however Hunters of England seem to import 'exotic' rifles. on this website i've seen they where the ones trying the 408cheytac in the UK and apparently one particular member is setting out to introduce 1mile matches everynow and then. i think its your best bet.
Project Web -- Schedule
Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Gold Member

Dont know who likes it or dislikes it but that green and grey one is a MEAN lookin dude! Scary all business lookin!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

Matt

just caught the post, an impressive looking beast. I havent seen this variant before, most of the photos I have seen are dressed in A5's.

Probably a silly question, but i'll ask anyway - how did it shoot / accuracy / how far out did you do?

In terms of carrying for long periods - was it as "portable" as an AW or less so?

Flims

The 408CT made by Rob Hunter (Hunters of England) is an Improved version of the CT case. He had a reamer and dies made specifically. The rifle is based on an RPA action not CT - however it still shoots very well.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

BD

FN P90 = kack hander friendly!!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - the PGW looks FUGLY to me in that alloy stock, looked very good in a Mc. Slow stock though (wonder if the alloy stock was the imput from Colt - or rather the afterbirth from a AR30 stock).

Ronin if you want a metal monster why not a EDM Windrunner or CheyTac in 338 Lap, it seems more of a complete "system" somehow. That said I know someone else in the UK who has played with the PGW - accuracy was said to be excellent.

David.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

David

cannot say I like the aesthetics of the "metal monster" that BD tried, however I do like the look of the PGW in an A5 - which is what I am looking to get.

If you look at the current Colt (Canada) catalogue, the TW is advertised with option for all Mac A series stocks, so i'm not sure if the metal folder shown in BD post is a one off or special for assessment (maybe for special units)

Whatever ones opinion on how the metal stock looks, placed in an A series, it looks pretty good (IMO)