Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

338/300 RUM Bullpup - Posted for Dave Wilson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338/300 RUM Bullpup - Posted for Dave Wilson

Bob, you're not the first person to tell me my mind is thinking a little differently than most. thank you.

as i said, i'm not convinced you're any safer behind the action than you are on top of it, in the case of catastrophic failure.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

James,how long is that gun of yours? mine is 40" with a 29" barrel, and it can be carried around in our woods very nicely.even when you have it on your shoulder it carries well because the center of gravity is lower. that's why i built it.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Once again, someone has failed to hit that dang quarter!

Nice shooting. It is quite common for groups to get smaller as the range gets longer. It is cause when youre using a bullet that is slightly over spun at first. After it slows down a bit, to an RPM it likes, it goes to sleep causing it to settle down for lack of a better term. I had one load that refused to group below 1 MOA out to 600 yards yet at 1000 they were between 3.5" and 5".

Again, nice shooting!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

mines just shy of 53", wouldn't mind one like that in a 338 edge for my next build, who could I talk to about the intregal scope mount bedding block, may start getting the parts togather for a bullpup 34" barreled "way cool" 338 edge. may also pick your brain on the mid. trigger conversion later on.
JS
Old 12-23-2006, 03:05 AM
Silver Member

Jealous - My next project will be a Bullpup. I was losing interest - but the fire has been rekindled.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

James, for any information about this gun, you could talk to me.i designed and had everything built myself.the bedding block is the cornerstone of the whole thing.it's glued on the barrel,incorporates the recoil lug,scope base, and bracket to hold the trigger. i didn't use a regular lug that would be like one used on the xp-100's.i'm sure it would work,i'm told they can handle heavy recoiling calibers.something just bothered me about a recoil lug with basically 2 contact points,so i put a 1" square block on the bottom towards the front of the block.this is also a stronger area of the stock as i have an extra groove going under the action and barrel for the trigger linkage.i was concerned with the cross-sectional strength of the stock in this area.another plus is i have a single shot with bottom metal so there is more wood in that area.this gun could be made quite a bit lighter and a little more slender.i made everything on the heavy/large side as i was trying to get as much accuracy as i could.the barrel is 1.36 for 3" in front of the receiver, 1.20" for the length inside the block and tapers to .825 at the muzzle.the barrel O.D. dictates the block size and the block determines the stock width.there's only 18" of barrel hanging in front of the block that's unsupported,that's including the brake.i looked at this as another plus for accuracy since i don't have to hang a big barrel off the receiver. obviously a much lighter contour could be used but as i said,i made everything on the heavy side.i also know a 15 pounder has a better chance of being a good shooter than an 11! maybe when i get back from hunting elk this fall,please let me draw,please let me draw, i'll be building the light version!
Old 12-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

Nice°

Once thing is for sure... shooting in cold weather is a plus since you may warm your cheek easily [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]