Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

223 WSSM experience in STEALTH 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: 223 WSSM experience in STEALTH 2

Switch over to a Redding S die and then you can use the bushings to size the neck down and get better (lighter) neck tension.....that way you don't have to rely on the sizer button.....
Part of the problem is the WSSM necks are thicker than my skull ( I am kind hard headed!!! LOL!!!!)
Old 08-09-2005, 06:20 PM

Chris, I believe I am discovering two major problems:
1.) As you mentioned, and I suspected, the necks are TOO THICK on WSSMs. Should I turn them down? Why does Winchester not know this?
2.) The RCBS button sizer dies are about .002 to .003 too small! I also have a Coyote .243WSSM. I put the calipers on it to get a comparison, and the numbers are EXACTLY the same: neck punches out to .004 smaller than bullet diameter (.223WSSM die does exactly the same thing). My bullets are seating extremely tight in both WSSM guns. IS THIS WHY MY ACTUAL VELOCITY IS 100'S OF FPS SLOWER THAN THE BOOK PUBLISHED LOAD VELOCITY? Can I get my money back from RCBS and go redding?

I guess someone has to be the lab rat with a "new" cartridge. The easy thing would be to pawn the lot and have my new friend Gary Ocock chamber me a nice swift... Someday, but for now, I like a challenge!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Gold Member

You could turn them but then your chamber neck would be too big and you would over work your brass.
The money back thing would be up to RCBS....maybe a phone call teeling them your problem would get you a larger button....feedback from customers SHOULD be important to them....it is to me....
Old 07-05-2006, 05:59 PM

I am aware this is a relatively old thread but I'm hoping someone may help me out here.

I have a new STEALTH II .223 WSSM. The first 15 shots were dead on. I was holding .400" consistently with factory 55 gr soft point ammunition. Since then I haven't had any luck buying that style from the local vendors. The only thing available is the 55 gr ballistic tip style. I too have the same issue as the author of the thread. I can't hold a 4" group at 100 yds now. I had a Super Sniper and switched to a Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25. I was certain the scope was the issue. I returned the scope and got a replacement. I did all the recommended items Leupold Tech Services suggested and they decided I needed another. Well the replacement had the same issues. Needless to say I retried the Super Sniper and felt ignorant. I called "Winchester" to send the rifle back for repair. The tech guys says that the high speed ammunition of the WSSM line and rounds like the 22-250 foul very easily. I was told that they take them in and give them an extensive cleaning with KG-12 copper cleaner. I was told that usually clears up the problem. I decided to get some from E Author Brown. I just ordered it today. I did clean the barrel extremely well. But, I guess the style of cleaner isn't good enough. Is this guy correct?

I am getting ready to begin reloading. I see the Redding S dies were recommended in this thread. I also read about the bullet seating problems. Should I get the dies that simply reshape the neck or the type that trims the brass to fit?

Pardon the ignorance with the terms for relaoding. I have never relaoded a rifle cartridge.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

RODENT,

Welcome aboard......

I'd recommend a good barrel brake in procedure. See Dan Lilja's web site for instructions

I'd suggest General Motor's Top Engine Cleaner to get teh carbon out.

Otherwise known as GM TE Part# 1050002. 15oz, about a lifetime amount, for about 7 bucks. Do a searh on it here and you'll see its qualification.

For Copper removal, Wipe Out is hard to beat, all things considered. Get the Accelerator if you're in more of a hurry. Again do a search here to learn more about it.

Regarding reloading dies I'm a bit light as I just use regular RCBS dies and size a little more than 1/2 the neck and set the shoulder back when necessary with the Full Length resize die.

Any one that is really serious seems to use the Redding or Lee dies w/the neck bushingto fit the specific chamber and a full body to set the shoulder back when necessary.

Good luck on your quest.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:20 PM

Roy,
It turns out that I had a couple of things working against me. Leupold came back and said they were sending me a me scope. Relunctantly, they told me that there was loose internal parts. I was astounded. The scope hasn't made it back to me yet but I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the barrel break in advise. I would have thought it was completely broken in but I am going to give it another look.