Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

20 MOA rail, & hold over reticle trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

Re: 20 MOA rail, & hold over reticle trouble

Were you on the correct power? If you were on a lower power it would definitely throw your shots off, however I have no idea how your shots are dropping 30" from 200 to 300 yards. Also, have you checked the subtensions at 100 yards against a grid to verify they are accurate? Leupold could have installed it and not calibrated it correctly.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 AM
Gold Member

You have to set your power ring on the big triangle . That would be a group A cartridge I think as the 300 WM is the only one close in group A .
300 WSM don't appear in the list at all.
Try that.
Another thing is that if you are long sighted and you need to have the ocular focus right back then that will throw off the magnification ring values . As with the focus right back the scope will have greater magnification .
If that is the case , as this reticule systems accuracy is based on the image magnification being right you may have to have the power ring on a different magnification than the instructions say . Try different settings around the big triangle setting an see what power setting gives correct hold overs . Then mark the ring with some white paint or something like that .
In future buy a First Focal Plane scope with either a Moa or mil dot reticule . You work out your own trajectory data in MOA or Mils using a ballistic program like JBM or sight it in and shoot at targets at different ranges and discover the drops . Then you can apply the holdovers required at any range on any power .
For level fire and no wind and ignoring altitude and atmospheric . You can just have a list stuck to your stock with each hold over at each range in MOA or Mils .
Get out your laser range finder range the target. Look up your list for that range and you have the hold over .
Count down the reticle subtensions that amount and that's the POI .
It works for every cartridge because you work out the trajectory of your cartridge .
Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

I took my load info, & put it thru JBM to check my drops in MOA against the reticle sub tensions. They are so close it's not funny.

I used this same scope on my 300Wby launching 180's at 3085 FPS & it worked great. Should be absolute minimal difference between that & my 300WSM launching 180's at just over 3100 FPS.

Yes I used the correct magnification, (big triangle) & correct A/O setting. I even double checked.
Ill call Leupold & talk to someone there, & report back here with my findings.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I took my load info, & put it thru JBM to check my drops in MOA against the reticle sub tensions. They are so close it's not funny.

I used this same scope on my 300Wby launching 180's at 3085 FPS & it worked great. Should be absolute minimal difference between that & my 300WSM launching 180's at just over 3100 FPS.

Yes I used the correct magnification, (big triangle) & correct A/O setting. I even double checked.
Ill call Leupold & talk to someone there, & report back here with my findings.
I was not talking about AO settings they will only change the range focus to set parallax correction .
I was talking about the OCULAR eye focus at the back of the scope. If you have long sightedness (Presbyopia) and this ocular adjustment is way back then the power setting marks will be wrong .
Maybe the error was right for the 300 WBY but not the 300 WSM.
I think you have to forget about other guns and cartridges and play with different magnification settings to make it work with the 300 WSM .
Another thing is , you are not shooting with see through lens caps or eye glasses are you as adding another lens of anykind can distort the image .
Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Gold Member

My biggest concern is still that you're 30 inches low at 300. That shouldn't happen even if you used your 200 yard pin. Almost makes me wonder if something is loose in your scope.