Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

17 HMR vs 22 mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 17 HMR vs 22 mag

Thanks everyone. I still want anyone with input to hop on with their two cents but I wanted to acknoledge all the good input we've had so far.

While we are at it can I get some reccomendations on what rifle you all think would deliver the best bargain in accuracy and useability for a pair of boys that go hunting with their dad ALOT and are just getting to the age where they will start shooting ground vermin and rock chucks and of course the occasional coyote that is to ignorant to flee when the truck stops?

Again, Thanks. I will be printing this all out for the neighbor to read.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like I am the only 17 hmr lover here. This little round has brought back more fun into shooting then I have had in a long time. I doubt that it hits harder than a 22 mag. but it is way more explosive and accurate. I don't know if I would take it coyote hunting but if one presented itself under 125 yards or so it should be fine. I have to admit I am not a 22 mag. lover, never could get one to shoot under an inch at 100 yds. Even a custom clark 77/22 mag would only shoot 1-1/2". The first thing I did when the 17 came out was rebarrel that gun and immediately it shot 1/2" groups. There is nothing more fun than shooting black birds at 100+ yards and all you see is a puff of feathers.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Although i've haven't had the chance to use a .17 yet my choice would be the .22 Magnum. I have an old sterling 1500 thats been bedded in epoxy and had the barrel floated and it will shoot .5 - .75 inch groups at 100y with Winchester Supreme ammo, Remington premiers shoot about the same but they're not worth the extra $13 a box.

With the 34gr jhp supreme i've cleanly killed wallabies and 'roos out to about 270y with chest shots.

For a rifle i like the CZ line, with a little work these guns can be made shoot really well [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .
Old 11-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

Not to get into a pissin match but I"m hearing a 17HMR puts a clean hole through a Gopher..and only breaks the skin on a yote until whacked with a 300WM why waist you time with either for a young shooter that recoil may be a concern why not go with a .17 Mach4 or even simpler go with a standred .17 rem will flat out roll yotes out to 400 yards with hardly any pelt damage and the repor of the rifle is Nill! ....I would imagine the yungster is going to be supervised so why send him out witha pee shooter to do a mans job ....just curious? maybe I'm way off base here and I applogise id so ...but there are some bettre options and i just thought I would mention a few.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

I really like the 17 HMR. Flat shooting to 150 yards and I just have not seen one that was not accurate out of the box. Great for prairie dogs in semi-urban areas as the bullets will pretty much always come apart on impact at normal ranges. Fun to shoot, but I would keep expectations realistic.

I would not go out with the intent of hunting coyotes with either the 17 HMR or 22 Mag. They both will kill them, but situations need to be right.

If your are looking for a great solution for low recoil, inexpensive ammo, accuracy and the ability to kill a coyote, get a .223 Remington. You can buy bulk ammo for around $10.00 / 50 which is a little more expensive than the 17 HMR and 22 Mag, but downrange performance is substantially better. Shots on yotes at 300 yards are not out of the question as with the rimfires.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

I hope you enjoy sewing! the .223 is gunna put hurt on them for sure but a little .17 going 4000fps at 300-400 yrads will do hardly any damage, IMHO. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I hope you enjoy sewing! the .223 is gunna put hurt on them for sure but a little .17 going 4000fps at 300-400 yrads will do hardly any damage, IMHO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on the bullet, but I honestly have not cared to much about pelt prices since the fallout in the eighties. Even when I did I never hesitated to shoot one with whatever I had - .22 LR - 30-06 - .54 cal muzzleloader [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
The real advantage to the .223 is cheap ammo and lots of it. Once you take the step from 22 LR you go to 17 HMR, 22 Mag and 223 Rem. The 223 Rem really gets you the most bang for the buck.