Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

.17 cal remington centerfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2004, 07:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: .17 cal remington centerfire

.. I've had both the .17 Remington in a Contender pistol and the MachIV in a custom Sako(current).. I have been truly impressed with the performance of both but the MachIV is my baby.. If I wasn't a reloader then the .17 Rem would be my obvious choice.. Terminal performance is excellent unless you're after "red mist".. For the most part my experience has shown that the intended target(usually groundhogs) just dies in place.. PO Ackley's book has some interesting reading on this subject.. The Sako has a pretty long throat and the bullet that's given me the best results is the 30gr Berger (either one, no matter).. I've used them on feral dogs up to the size of a Walker with satisfactory results.. My preferred powder in the MachIV is the relatively new Reloader 10X.. I get 3750fps from the 30gr Berger with no pressure signs and good case life.. They are ballistically the same as most lightweight hotrod loads.. About the only special considerations I know of are concerning cleaning.. You'll need .17 specific "stuff" and I'm a big fan of moly in smaller calibers.. Good luck either way... d:^) JiNC

Try these guys for more varmint oriented info..
GoGoVarmintGo
Old 01-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

I don't know how I missed this thread last month.

Stephen,

If you've heard all of the rumors about fouling and wind problems with the 17, well the people who repeat those rumors just have no experience with the round. Fouling problems are barrel specific, they have nothing to do with the caliber. Use a good barrel and clean it like any other rifle.

It's true the little .17 pills have a low BC, but they get to the target so fast, the wind doesn't get much of a chance to move them.

Chris, Are you talking about Corbin Shell? I had my 17 Remington built with his reamer. My intentions are to one day put a better scope on it and shoot it at 1,000. Until then, it remains my favorite calling rifle. Just squeeze the trigger and watch the bullet hit the target. It's an amazing little round! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Tim,
I don't recall the guy's name, just the jist of the article.
The 17 is a great caliber for sure. Took two coyotes last Sat with mine. One at 25 FEET and the other at 400 Yards. No fur damage at all on either dog. Both one shot kills, instant kills. Both dogs were around 45 lbs. Biggest I've killed in MO.
Of course, I had to quit hunting cause after two shots my barrel was fouled so bad!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Yeah, right!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Chris,

I clean my barrel every 1-200 rounds, whether it needs it or not!

It's one of the most fun rounds I've ever tried for both loading, and shooting!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:18 AM
Gold Member

Tim,
Roger that.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

I like to load my 17 Remington, right after or just before, I load my 338/416 Rigby Imp.

Such a differenct it keeps me chuckling the whole time I'm loading that little 17 cal.

I do like my 17 Remington and just sent some 225 Win brass to a friend of mine in Alaska.
He now has the 17 VLR and is planning on going to the 17/225 with a 30" (Plus) barrel. He has probably killed more coyotes and other game with his 17s then all posters on this forum put together.

He has written articles in the "Small Caliber News" magazine to.

Later
DC
Old 01-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Bronze Member

This is why I come here. Get me rethinking plans for rifles.

Was going to build a 223 yote gun but everybody and their uncle has one. Went to accuracy reloading and checked their 17 stuff. Saw the 17 PPC. Is that over kill for yotes? Speed is unreal at 4K with a 30 grain pill.

Also what does barrel life look like with something this small?