Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

1 gun for all???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 1 gun for all???

What did you go with?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondini View Post
What did you go with?

I am leaning towards the 270wsm.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

What is your Dad's favorite cartridge?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

I think you should seriously look at the 7saum or 7wsm. Buttets from 140-190gr with good bc's and same action length as the 270wsm. It can do everything the 270wsm can do and more. There is also rumors that lapua is going to produce 7saum brass.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting thread.

I sold my 270WSM partially for the same reason you mentioned a few pages back - lack of bullet choice.

I'd consider 30-06 (yes, really), 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag or 300 Wby Mag.
Plenty of brass available for any of them, lots of 7mm and 30 caliber offerings in bullet selection, and enough power without making you afraid every time you pull the trigger. Nothing wrong with the 300WSM either if you want to add one more. Any of them can be used for animals as small as coyotes and all the way up to elk.

Not sure what you meant about "brush gun" in your comment on the 7mm Rem Mag in an earlier post. None of the calibers you need will really be a "brush gun." The only caliber that I ever think of for that is the good old 30-30.
And, you then mention liking the 280AI - realize that it, too, is a 7mm caliber.

FYI I find it easier to own several rifles than to choose one to use for everything.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

Personally, I'd go with a 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag as ONE all-around cartridge... I have quite a few guns, so I don't have to worry about this lol. I usually shoot my 22-250 Rem or 308 Win for practice/chuck hunting, my 7mm Rem Mag or one of my 308 Wins for deer hunting, and I'm looking into having 338 Edge built. But my Ruger 10/22, 17 HMR or my 222 Rem are my squirrel hunting/plinking guns... All right, I'll stop before I write a thesis paper...

What about switch barrels, have you thought about that? Get 2 bolts, one in a magnum face and one in a standard face. Get one barrel in 308 Win and another in 300 Win Mag (on a long action of course). Almost any action can be converted to a switch barrel, but perhaps Savage is the easiest.

Not trying to muddy up the water lol, but it honestly sounds like you may need more than one caliber for the amount of shooting I believe you want to do. 30 cal has the widest and probably "best" selection of bullets to choose from. 7mm has a decent selection also.

Good luck, I wish I had your dilema !
Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 AM

It can be kind of overwhelming to make such a selection.

Me, outside of a couple of 5.56/.223 caliber rifles I own a .308 Win and I'm building a .300 Win Mag to suit me. I like the .300 Win Mag for a couple of reason, easy to acquire components for reloading and easy to find factory ammo.

If I plan to shoot past 200 yards on most game animals I opt for the .300 Win Mag. If I'll likely be shooting closer then the .308 gets the nod. If I could have only one it would be the .300 Win Mag hands down.

The .300 Win Mag is what I consider a 30-06 on steroids to be. The .308 is a 30-06 Lite. The advantage to the .300 is, for me, the amount of power it delivers at longer ranges. Making such a choice can be a daunting task and one that will have us second guessing ourselves until the end.

I look at logistics as part of my decision making process. If I'm in Podunk, AR and need ammo I want to know I can find it at the local shop without having to special order it. That alone rules out a lot of calibers in and of itself. I also want to know that I can easily find reloading components.

Me, I'd love a Mauser in .300 Win Mag but I like the .30 cals best. We can talk bullet selection and power charts all day long but the big factor is going to be you and what you want. I consider the 180 grain bullet to be the standard bullet for the .300 Win Mag and can move up or down from there depending upon the usage.

I'm sort of a traditionalist and have never warmed to metric calibers, 9.3 x 62 being the exception although I do prefer the .35 Whelen, and like traditional calibers which the WSM's are not yet. Maybe someday they will be.

I hope that something I said was of help to you. Good luck in your decision making process and Merry Christmas.

Biker