Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

1 gun for all???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Re: 1 gun for all???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
If you can find someone locally that has a copy of Quickload (computer program for reloading), you could compare the cartridges side by side with whatever loads/barrel lengths/bullets you wish.

Or you could give yourself an early Christmas gift and buy yourself a copy.

If you reload, Quickload is a reference tool that is beyond useful.

AJ
lol I dont know anyone that has it, and if i got that the wife would say NO to a gun. I think I will just refrence off of the nosler book and make a spreadsheet for side by side comparisons. who knows maybe it will help someone else out in the future.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

Ok. I will chime in and say a 7saum or 7 wsm on a long action. Use a long 26" or longer barrel, get a muzzle brake and have 3 loads. 1. General lurpose load of 168gr berger vld at 3000fps. Then a coyote load of 120 gr vxax at 3200. And lastly if you tackle elk use a 180 gr vld and push it to 2900-3000 fps . A lot less recoil than the big 30' s and fully capable and excellent at what your asking for. Look at the cartrige guide on 6mmbr.com for some good articles. Also look into a 6.5 of some sort.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

I would have your dad to build one exactly like he would build for himself. It seems he likes Mausers so that would be the action of choice. Any of the calibers mentioned would work pretty well, BUT, I would have it built in a classic chambering like the 7X57 or 6.5X55. They won't be the best choice for long range but I would get a dedicated rifle for that pursuit. You will have something to pass down to your grandson one day and something that can drop a whitetail out to 400 yards or so without too much trouble.

I am a little nostalgic but hey it's a good reason to add another gun to the rack
Old 11-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

If you go to weatherbys web sight you can compare cartridges side by side.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
If you go to weatherbys web sight you can compare cartridges side by side.

Thanks alot, I been looking back and fourth all over the place trying to compare these. Ive had so many windows open it has locked my computer up a few times lol.

EDIT: It looks like you can only compare weatherby cartridges.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluckypops View Post
Thanks alot, I been looking back and fourth all over the place trying to compare these. Ive had so many windows open it has locked my computer up a few times lol.

EDIT: It looks like you can only compare weatherby cartridges.
If you narrow your selection down to 3-4 cartridges and post what you'd like to compare, somebody will certainly run them in quickload and post the results.

Make sure to post the barrel length, and bullet weight for each cartridge.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluckypops View Post
After discussing them for awhile, i think we have ruled out the .270 WSM NOT because it is a poor caliber, honestly I really like the balistics of it, BUT what I dont like about it is the lack of bullet choices. I do not care for the lighter weight bullets and the 270wsm limits me to 160 grain MAX.
You missed two great bullets, the 165 Matrix with a .650+ BC and the 175 Matrix at .700+BC. My accuracy load for the 165 is running 3053FPS idling and the 175 3014 FPS. Hard to beat out to a 1000yrds and I took a bull at 865 yrds easily with it this year. Really when you look at what is available and what gets used the 270 does not lack bullets any longer!!