Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

1 gun for all???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 02:49 PM

1 gun for all???

I will start this thread by pointing out that I am a newbie to this forum, I have made an introduction post in the new members section. But to help with any answares that I can get from you fine people i will try to explain my circumstances.

I do not own any rifles at this time, My father is a gunsmith and has several custom built rifles that I have always been able to use. Well I think it is past time for me to obtain my own rifle. He has built rifles for all of my brothers, I just have not been able to come up with 1 that I really wanted. He is not getting any younger and I fear that If I dont get off the "pot" I will be left in the cold of having a trully memorable rifle built by him.

There rifles are all built from 98 Mauser actions, but that is the only thing in common they have, I personally am trying to think off the wall. So I havent decided what to do for an action yet. (defintly open to suggestions).

What I would like to be able to acheive is 1 rifle, that will work for Hunting Whitetails in the midwest, aswell as Elk out west. Of course I would also like it to be accurate at long ranges (1k). Although I do understand that I am NOT ready for taking those long yardage shots I want the capabilities. I also understand that it will take alot of trigger time to acheive the ability to do so.

The midwest hunting I do, has realistic shots from 50-500 yards in the hills, and as far as 1800 yards in the Missouri river bottoms. Now will I ever be able to make those shots?? If I work hard at it maybe 1 day I can. Never the less I do NOT consider it a waste of time or money to try and fail, after all I will still have a Rifle built for me from my father that can and will be cherrished for my lifetime.

Sorry for the rambling, now for the questions lol.

1.) Is it possable for me to have 1 rifle that will work for Hunting Whitetails, and Elk, from 50 yards to 1000 yards?

2.) If it is Possable, What cailbers should I consider with out being overkill for whitetail?

There are alot of other questions that I have, but I will stop there to try learn as much as I can instead of just getting flooded.

Thanks
OLP
Old 11-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: 1 gun for all???

I have a question do you want to reload for this rifle or do you want to buy factory bullets for this rifle?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Nice problem you have

If I were you, I'd make sure of a few things.

1) Caliber would NOT be a barrel burner, in fact I'd pick a caliber that would allow a LOT of shooting without needing to replace the barrel. Maybe a 338 of some sort.

2) I'd make sure it was something I'd appreciate holding, shooting and looking at. I'm partial to Remington actions personally, but you're the one that needs to love it.

3) I wouldn't waste ANY time in getting the gun built. You don't want to miss this opportunity.

Hope that helps.

BTW: I'd probably have a 338-300wsm built, it will reach out far enough, handle all the animals you listed, tons of options for reloading and should last forever.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-23-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
I have a question do you want to reload for this rifle or do you want to buy factory bullets for this rifle?
That is a good question.

I do plan on reloading, I am not sure what all dies i currently have access to other then 7mm, But that is NOT a deciding factor I can get what ever I will need for what ever caliber I choose.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Nice problem you have

If I were you, I'd make sure of a few things.

1) Caliber would NOT be a barrel burner, in fact I'd pick a caliber that would allow a LOT of shooting without needing to replace the barrel. Maybe a 338 of some sort. What calibers would you consider to be a "barrel burner"? Also would a 338 be "overkill for whitetail at close ranges?

2) I'd make sure it was something I'd appreciate holding, shooting and looking at. I'm partial to Remington actions personally, but you're the one that needs to love it. I have no problems with a Remington action, actually I am thinking of either: Remington, savage, tikka, or maybe go ahead and use a mauser. I also would agree that the gun needs to be something I want to shoot. I have the look of the gun done in my head

3) I wouldn't waste ANY time in getting the gun built. You don't want to miss this opportunity. Yes sir you are correct again, I am hoping to have it built in plenty of time for deer season next year

Hope that helps.

BTW: I'd probably have a 338-300wsm built, it will reach out far enough, handle all the animals you listed, tons of options for reloading and should last forever. I will keep that in mind, I know I still have alot of research ahead of me before any final decisions get made.

AJ
Thanks for your response, I respnded to you in blue. I look forward to your response
OLP
Old 11-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

I think there are several calibers that would meet your requirement. Just to name a few, 7mmRem mag, 270WSM, 300 Win Mag, 300WSM, 6.5x284. Used for hunting,I wouldn't get hung up on the cartridge being a barrel burner. In most cases a cartridge that will take out an elk effectively at 1000 yards will likely eat up a barrel faster than something in the 308/30-06 class. You should get 1000+ shots out of any of these if you don't cook the barrel.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

As far as barrel burners. Anything that is really overbore (7mm RUM, 300RUM, 243WSSM, 30-378WSB) I'd consider as a barrel-burner. My all time favorite caliber 7mm Rem Mag, I'd probably consider a barrel burner as well.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives