Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Your take on dealing with a wounded animal ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Your take on dealing with a wounded animal ?

Wow ! I will admit that I didn't read all the rules, but I wasn't expecting a "no ethics" rule. Moderator, feel free to delete the thread. I don't want to discuss whether we should hunt or not, nor debate the necessity of killing, but the concept of a humane death was something which supposedly differentiated gentlemen from savages.

I have personally been disappointed with the footage on the Sportsman channel, since I don't think it improves the image of hunters in the eye of the non hunting public. I can see however, how the role of game fences on private land changes the situation, since there is basically no way that a wounded animal is going to get onto someone else's land and result in a trespass condition. But the price associated with that privilege (over $1000 and up) would result in a lot fewer people being out there hunting and consequent loss of population control. So far, there are enough people who can afford the flight to South Africa and the trophy fees that so far demand still exceeds supply and the prices remain high.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Hopefully this doesn't get deleted.

Ethics aside completely, there is a legalilty issue here.

Trespassing without permission for any reason is illegal (in Wyoming anyway).
However, so is intentionally leaving edible portions of game animals to spoil or waste.

If an animal was hit in the vitals and the warden happens to come up on us while we are cutting off the unspoiled parts the following day, we could receive a citation for wanton destruction.......don't quote me on the terminology, but it's something like that. Some wardens may consider leaving an animal for 12 hours when it was obviously hit in the vitals, to be abandonment.?

Just as some consider illuminated reticles illegal, even when the regulations don't specifically mention them.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
Careful with where you go with this guys. This is from the site rules.
WTH not?We are grown men,if you cant discuss your opinions on matters like this without them being deleted by the internet police whats the point of a forum?Its a catch 22 here in MT,if the animal crosses on to private and they wont let you retieve you get charged with wasting game,if you go get it its tresspass,either way you loose it.If it happened and I know they wont let you retrieve Im not asking,MT F&G doesnt provide any incentive for doing the right thing,if you try to you just turned yourself in for a ticket they WILL write you.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

This just an FYI responce, Here in New York state the person that "Reduces the animal to Possession" has legal ownership. So if I shoot it on my land and my neighbor shoots it and drops it on his land its his deer.

Back to the theme of the post,, when I go in the woods I TRY to take only high percentage shots because if an animal goes more then 200yds it may very well go by someone else. I shoot a lot of relaxed ,calm management does and most of the time they go less than 25 yards with a bullet just behind the shoulder and my meat loss is minimal. However if one goes longer I am prepared to track it no matter what time of the day it is. If I determine that I have made a gut hit, which does not take long, then I will back out and call Deer Search Inc. and with a leased tracking dog and certified handler we will go back to the track and work it, but in the case of a paunch hit D.S. recommends waiting at least 6 hours before trailing and with them I have recovered paunch hit deer still alive but too weak to run further, so a finish shot was used. So in closing I will say every case is its own, you know your abilities, what the animal did after the shot etc. personally I wait about 5 minutes, make some mental notes then go to the spot and start looking for sign. As for the "hunting shows" on tv, some are getting to be a bit much and give to much fodder to the anti's, and thats all I will say about that..

Last edited by flyin lizard; 07-23-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA View Post
WTH not?We are grown men,if you cant discuss your opinions on matters like this without them being deleted by the internet police whats the point of a forum?
Because as you have correctly characterized them - ethics are opinions. But ethics are more engrained in the genetic fabric than what would otherwise be described as simple opinions. They're opinions that some people are willing to die for. Worse yet, everyone has one. Don't mak'em right. They're on the order of individual or group belief systems, morals, religions. Al-Qaeda commits suicide bombings to enforce their ethics and morals.

But primarily and most importantly, the guy that created and controls this Forum says so. You don't like it - you know what the alternative is...

Last edited by phorwath; 07-23-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

My take on dealing with a wounded game animal, is recover them using the best strategy that fits the individual circumstances. Sometimes this will mean letting the animal set so the hunter can follow the blood trail up to a dead animal. The circumstances can be so different. Sometimes it's raining, sometimes it's not. Sometime's there's drifting snow, sometimes there's not. Sometimes the animal will spoil if left overnight (largely dependent on the size of the game animal and the temperature), sometimes it won't.

I archery hunted the first 13 years of my hunting career. On marginal hits, the more successful method for retrieving the animal was to let it set for several hours, because there would generally be a good blood trail up to the first bedding location. But after bedding down and laying still for awhile, the external wounds would clot and the animal wouldn't leave a blood trail after it was jumped out of its first bed. So it was very difficult to follow the animal, lacking any blood trail after the animal was pushed out of its first bedding location. Therefore we’d let the animal lay and cross your fingers that after several hours passed and you did take up the trail and encounter the game animal, that internal bleeding would have been sufficient to result in death, or at least the ability to close the distance to a delirious animal and finish it off.

If the animal was still healthy enough to jump up and run off after several hours in its first bed, then the odds were good that it might survive anyhow - unless it was gut shot.

On a gut shot animal struck with an arrow, leaving the animal lay overnight isn’t a bad option - if rain isn’t in the forecast, if the temperature isn’t deadly hot, and if bears and/or coyotes are unlikely to destroy the animal prior to morning. Because after the animal is pushed out of its first bed, you’re unlikely to have any blood trail to follow for purposes of retrieving the animal.

Last edited by phorwath; 07-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA View Post
WTH not?We are grown men,if you cant discuss your opinions on matters like this without them being deleted by the internet police whats the point of a forum
The best, and only, reason you need is that Len foots the bill for this site and the site rules say we don't discuss ethics. There are no "internet police" around here, just guys that follow the site rules, which you have obviously never read.

I won't go into details, again, because it's come up so many times before and been explained many times before.

If you don't like the site rules please feel free to take your attitude somewhere else.