Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Your Opinion on Self-Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Your Opinion on Self-Defense

One thing that everybody has to remember is that if your armed that makes EVERY confrontation an armed confrontation wether your opposition is armed or not , their are alot of people killed every year because they pulled a gun expecting the bad guy to run in fear but he ends up with the gun and the owner ends up shot.
One thing I tell everybody that wants to carry is that unless your mentaly capible of killing sombody and fully understand whats gonna happen after that don't bother.

If you kill sombody weter in self defense or not your world is gonna be turned upside down , not only did you just take a life , sombodys son , maybe sombodys father thats hard for you to deal with on your own , but the media is going to make you out to be a vigilanti killer , your name is gonna be posted everywhere and you will be made out to be the bad guy , and god help you if the persoan you killed had a mental defect or was of another race other than yours then you'll be a racest killer.

But in all , I feel that everybody has the right to protect themselves and their property with deadly force. You don't know your opposition , you don't know if hes armed , if he has any special training or mentaly deffective , their for evry confrontation should be looked at like a life or death confrontation. You would be supprised the amout of people that have the knowledge and training to kill you with their bare hands
Old 03-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Bronze Member

I would dislike all of the above post regarding media, coping with taking someones life, etc. However, I couldn't ever get over my son or wife being harmed by some low life, and I would rather be punished by law then live knowing I could have prevented my family being harmed.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Gold Member

Here in the UK our government has frittered away our right to defend ourselves, and the police are to swamped with paper work to protect us [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].
People are becomong the victims of violent crimes by all sorts including minors because of the prospect of prosecution if they retaliate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].
The dispicable Human rights Act protects these scumbags in everthing they do [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].
Even if they violate your home or your family their rights are upheld [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].
i want to write more but i am growing angrier and angrier as i go on....
All i can say now is dont let it happen in your country

Ian.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

My concealed carry is a S&W 686 and a knife - if you carry a gun always carry a knife.

What I do not carry is pepper spay - if I do not have it, it does away with the "I should have used it before the gun".

It seems like traditionaly the arguement has been self defense with a gun or not. Where I think the right to use a gun may become eroded is with non lethal weapons - I can here one question being asked - why do you want a pistol or revolver and not a taser.(I know the answer is multiple perps) but by carrying a non lethal weapon, it makes the justification for using a gun harder.

Erosion can also occur on more subtle levels. Here the law refers to a pistol or revoler as a weapon (zbrane,in Czech). I think it is important that it is seen to be a weapon - one that is used to defend ones self with and the termininology is not watered down to "firearm" for example - you can take the arguement on to other stuff eg. targets - train and practice for the intended use, in other words use targets that look like people.

When you conceed little by little to be PC - eventually you end up with nothing.

Note to Ian - I can still remember shooting the "huns" head at Bisley in the Mc. Queens when it looked like a German - now it is all that "delimited" crap - PC merchants again.

David.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

JD RE your first post up above. I'm with you 100% but......am a little queezy. I keep rifle/shotgun handy and ready. I used to carry but I had no confidence. Son carries and I suppose it will be me yelling Shoot! Shoot!. But I CCW and mm scrounging around for a CCW Certified Trainer in a sheriff's dept (our county has no such trained people ) to train me a bit to increase the confidence level.

With the recent shootings in Salt Lake, some local goings on around here and in Boise I think its time. My bro in law is the legal representative for the State's law enforcement agencies. I'll tell ya he sure doesn't mess around. You otta see his scrap book.....

BTW, I like the above described law.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Try applying for a CCW permit here in California. You have better chance winning a lottery than getting one. Have you guys seen the movie Zodiac?. Went with the wife and kids to see it friday. If that won't encourage you to carry a gun, I don't know what else. Call me paranoid, but I never keep my guard down, whether in public places or in my home. I refused to be victimize.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

I believe we have the right to protect ourselves and our property with deadly force. I will be taking my concealed weapons class on the twentieth.

My wife and I were discussing this issue. I have two stories. A few nights ago my children and I were leaving the local skating rink. We walked to the truck. I loaded the kids in the truck, and was walking around to the drivers door when my son says, "Hey, this isn't our truck". I run back to the passenger door and unload my kids. My kids trot off towards our truck, and I am shutting the door just as the owner walks out of the skating rink. Holy [censored]!

As a college student I lived in an appartment. Returning home late one night I found myself locked out. I went to the back where I knew the kitchen window was usually left open a bit. I climbed in my window and opened the fridge. I stood in the fridge light for a full minute wondering what the hell was in my fridge before realising I was in the wrong house.

These are two scenarious I could have been shot while meaning no harm. Food for your debate.