Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Your most memorable Christmas present as a kid.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Your most memorable Christmas present as a kid.

When I was 6 my hearts desire was a 22 rilfle, started saving for one with chore money and rakeing leaves. Around december I was still short the 119 for a chipmunk I wanted even with christmas money. So my grandfather talked me in to a nickle plated 10-22 for 107$ at a local store. That rifle has been across the nation several times and is on its 2nd spring set and through I don't know how many iterations of stocks and barrels.

I used to make my fingers raw loading that 10 round magazine shooting ground squirrels in the spring and corks towed behind the boat in the summer.

My mom has a picture of me on the couch late christmas night cuddled up asleep on the couch holding the rifle.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

My Dad hated venison, and didn't shoot a gun unless a stray cat was around the house. So that didn't bold well for me getting a deer rifle.

I can remember getting my first bb gun, spinning rod, (I was more of a fisherman as a kid)

But I think the one thing I remember most about (8 or 9 years old) which probably sounds really stupid, was this big plastic t-rex with movable legs, jaw and arms. I was dinasour crazy as a kid, always digging in exposed sand cliffs, and generally thinking I was going to find some cool bones, and be an archiologist when I grew up. I guess at that age I was just imaginative, and loved the idea that these big bastards were once king of the hill.

Now I want a time machine so I can go back to the Cretaceous period and help them go extinct.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Gold Member

Age 7 I got a Benjamin 22 Cal AIR RIFLE. One day the next week I set a new world record - 22 English sparrows and 1 Brown Thrush, that I called in...
Them were the days.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:30 AM
Gold Member

I was like 5 and got a remote controlled helicopter. I spent hours flying it in the dining room... Then I woke-up and got the usual Christmas presents.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
I was about 4 years old. Got me a set of Fanner Fifty's and a new hat and boots. Lets see how many of you figure out what I am talking about.

Wow this will date me. :(
You not kiddin! I also got a Fanner 50 for Christmas about the same age. It wasn't the pair but I do remember that it had a really nice leather holster.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Silver Member

I also got cap guns, but my favorite was a used (1956) Remington 721, 06 that I got in 1959, my dad paid $65 for it. It is now a failry expensive 35 Whelen