Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Your favorite hunting stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 04:36 PM

Your favorite hunting stock?

Hello gents,

I was wondering if you could share your opinions on whatīs your favorite/most comfortable stock for a light weight hunting rifle. I want to replace the factory stock of a Savage rifle in 7mm-08. It will be used for both deer and fox hunting in open landscape so most shoots will be prone but still it must be comfortable to shoot offhand as well if I go abroad to Sweden for moose hunting. Most shots will be from 100-300 meters, quite short ranges compared to what many here are hunting. Since I live in Iceland I donīt have the chance to try out many stock patterns but the factory stock I like the most is the Sako 75 stock. I also find the thought of a thumbhole stock appealing but Iīve never tryed one so opinions on them as others would be greatly appreciated.

jonj
Old 12-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Your favorite hunting stock?

I just got my Mcmillan Lazzeroni sporter stock and it is awesome. It shoulders like a high grade O/U shotgun! It is not what I would call super light weight but it's not heavy either.

Every possible thing to reduce recoil has been thought of and integrated into the design.

Worth a look. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:12 AM

Yep, the Lazzeroni does indeed look very nice. Only problem is that itīs not available for Savage actions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

McMillan HTG, AKA: M40A1 for 600 yards or less, medium to light weight rifle.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Jon are you sure the Lazz isnt made for Savages? I'm pretty sure any stock that works for the Rem 700 can be inleted for Savages. The HTG is a very good choice also.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:02 PM

Charles you are probably right, I looked back on their website and there it says the Lazzeroni is available for Remington STYLE actions. Must admit though I dont know if the Savage action is classed as a Remington style action or not [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Anyone care to educate me...
Old 12-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

I recieved my Lazzeroni stock last week after a five month wait. My buyers remorse vanished when I removed it from the wrapper. If they inlet for savage, I can't recommend this stock enough. (wait was due to them bedding the barrelled action)

Wade