Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

You Have Got To Be Kidding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2003, 07:30 AM
*WyoWhisper*

You Have Got To Be Kidding

I'm watching ESPN2 Wildlife quest.. hoky idiots huting whitetail in archery season with not camo on hands or face.. doh!!!

anyway.....

this comercial for a Rem 710 comes on....

guys resting on a coat or bag or something and takes a shot or 2 his goober buddy is next to him with a pare of bino's and says "that things only been bore sighted" they guy shooting say "yup..." then the goober with bino's say "expensive huh".. and the guy shooting, shoots another shot... ( cut away to target ) 3 shots into about 1.5"..then the guys shooting replys and says "nope"

now if I were a po-dunk back woods SHORT RANGE deer hunter .. much like the guys in 24 hour camp fire and other boards.. that comercials says.....

buy this rifle bore sight it and go hunting!!!

HOLY $HIT.. No wonder we have so many wounded animals and anti's...

WHAT THE HELL in Remington thinking??????
Old 10-25-2003, 07:59 AM
Bronze Member

Re: You Have Got To Be Kidding

They arent thinking thats the problem...

How many of the marketing and advertising types for any particular product actually use any of the products....

'Squatch
Old 11-02-2003, 08:09 AM
Silver Member

Methinks they're thinking of putting a cheaper rifle into the market to increase access to the sport for low income blue collar types. At the risk of sounding absurd, they have succeeded to some degree.

Couple of years back when the gun was first introduced, a coworker inquired about what would get him into the woods of S. Carolina and I suggested a 710 in 30-06, with the proviso that he ditch the scope and put a better piece of glass on top. Wound up with a Leupold vari-x 2 3x9 and the gun shot 1.5" groups right out of the box with 3 varieties of ammo. After a few minutes he was putting those groups about 2" above POA. Not long range stuff but he's bagged about a dozen deer with it to date. It's cheap, it's reasonably accurate and the targeted market segment is not noted for vast amounts of deep thought on the subject of shooting or ballistics. Pickups on the other hand... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Wyo, I don't read the commercial as suggesting that the gun only be bore sighted, FWIW. Maybe I filtered something out? I'm getting way too good at filtering as years go by. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2003, 11:02 PM

Them 710s make mighty good tomato stakes too.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

Cherry or beaf stake tomato stakes? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2003, 09:13 AM

With the good furtile soil and abundance of steer manure we have, those 710s are just too short for our cherry 'mators.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

My 13 year old nephew killed his second elk, and first buck with a 710 Model 710 in .270 Win. Shoots 140 Accubonds I loaded up for it and has never missed when shooting at an animal to the best of my knowldedge.
I am trying to get the recovered bullet weights from the Accubonds that killed the elk. Mushrooms were perfect though.