Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Wyoming Rep Immediately Re-introduces Bill to Allow Suppressor Use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Wyoming Rep Immediately Re-introduces Bill to Allow Suppressor Use

Thank you Mr. Driskill, I've already written our senators, maybe this time...

Wyoming Senator Ogden Driskill (R-1) introduced a bill yesterday (1/16) that would further expand the rights of hunters in the Cowboy State. Senate File 132 would repeal the state prohibition on hunting with sound suppressors (which are additionally regulated under federal law) while providing additional penalties for those who use them illegally.
An identical version of this legislation was introduced earlier in the state House as House Bill 5. However, the House Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee defeated it this week by a vote that was neither announced nor made public. Senator Driskill drafted this bill to accomplish what HB 5 was supposed to do before it was unfairly dismissed.
Currently, more than half of the states across the country allow hunters to use suppressors. RecentlyArizona, Oklahoma and Texasadopted new rules allowing for use of suppressors when hunting game. It’s time that hunters in Wyoming are able to enjoy the same opportunities available to sportsmen in more than half of the country. For more information on firearms and suppressors, click here.
Noise complaints are being used more frequently as an excuse to close shooting ranges, informal shooting areas and hunting lands throughout the country. Increased use of suppressors will help to eliminate many of these complaints and protect hunting and shooting areas well into the future.
In order to acquire a suppressor, a purchaser must submit the appropriate paperwork to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives where long wait times for approval are unfortunately common (four to six months). Also, purchasers must undergo a background check by the FBI, find a licensed dealer authorized to conduct the transaction and pay a one-time $200 tax for each device. While suppressors do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the muzzle report in a manner similar to the way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a vehicle. The benefits associated with suppressor use include increased accuracy due to reduced recoil and muzzle blast, protection from hearing damage and reduced noise pollution.
To find your Senator’s contact information, please click herSF 132 has yet to be assigned to a Senate committee for further consideration. However, please call your Senator and urge him or him to support SF 132. Be sure to check NRA-ILA’s Wyoming page for more updates..

t

Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wyoming Rep Immediately Re-introduces Bill to Allow Suppressor Use

Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

I find it amazing how many of my fellow statesmen feel the need to interject their opinion into a subject/discussion/etc of which they know absolutely nothing. I've been involved in some pretty intense debates concerning suppressor use while hunting, outlining the benefits to the hunter, game & the surrounding area. You know what I get back? To put it in a nutshell "I don't like them so you can't use them."

Great arguement, nothing like fighting with a toddler over their bowl of Lucky Charms.

t

Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

I contacted my senate rep and advised if they want to make them legal to own and use for target shooting, knock yerselves out, but I don't support using them for hunting. He said as a hunter he doesn't see the need for them either. He said from what he's hearing, senate leadership may not even let this on the floor since a similar bill was already defeated in the house. I guess we shall see...
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple BB View Post
I contacted my senate rep and advised if they want to make them legal to own and use for target shooting, knock yerselves out, but I don't support using them for hunting. He said as a hunter he doesn't see the need for them either. He said from what he's hearing, senate leadership may not even let this on the floor since a similar bill was already defeated in the house. I guess we shall see...

News Flash:

They are already legal to own for target shooting, here's a clip from the Wyoming State Constitution:

Firearms; automatic weapon or silencer prohibited.**
No person shall take into or possess in the game fields
or forests of Wyoming any fully automatic weapon or
device designed to silence or muffle the report of any
firearm...

I can own it (and will before too long), I just can't do squat with it besides shoot paper & steel...I need to approach the G&F about this as well, just for a little more clarification. Then there's that need thing again also... truth be told, we don't NEED to be able to hunt period, as you've already learned I get a little miffed when folks try to tell me what I do & don't need. When/where does one draw the line? I don't NEED to drive a diesel truck, I guess we should ban those too... I don't NEED a good paying job, might as well reduce my pay... I don't see a NEED for bowhunting, might as well ban that too... We don't NEED optical sighting devices, might as well go back to irons... We don't NEED high quality bolt action rifles, might as well go back to lever guns...See what i'm getting at here? They don't detract anything from those who choose not to use them but benefit those who chose to. I still struggle to find any logical arguement (considering none have been posted here) against their use.

Time will tell for sure, if this one gets shot down, I will be writing all reps once again urging their re-introduction of another bill. From the article above, it's quite obvious i'm not the only person that thinks this way.

t

Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

Time will tell for sure, if this one gets shot down, I will be writing all reps once again urging their re-introduction of another bill.

Best of luck to ya on that...
Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Outlaw, I have shot suppressed rifles and see what they do offer. I like the reduced noise and recoil a lot. But I am still in undecided mode about using them for big game hunting. Maybe allow them for varmints but not big game. Here is the reason. Knowing what I know and helping to bust several poachers, it was the shot I heard or someone calling me to report shots fired that tipped us off. That said, low rent takers of game, that ignore all game laws to illegally take trophies, so they can make it look like they are great hunters would still use them if they were legal or not. So, like I said, I like them but just not ready to vote in favor for big game hunting. Not yet any way. But I may change my mind as soon as I feel I know all the good and possible bad points.

Jeff