Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Wyoming/Colorado wilderness hunting ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Wyoming/Colorado wilderness hunting ?

I read over some of the hunting rules for these states after hearing that the only way you can hunt in a wilderness area is w/a guide.
Is this true for big game or all hunting?
If this is true it sure seems unfair to be "forced" to have a guide.
Thanks Mike
Old 07-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wyoming/Colorado wilderness hunting ?

I don't know if its true or not....but get stuck in the wilderness in winter and you may not think its so unfair.

I wouldn't go into the wilderness without a guide, rule or not.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Not in Idaho. Just have to obey the rules. No machinery and weed free hay for the steeds.

Most if not all out of staters are guided for the reason(s) stated.

However, guided hunts are usually more successful unless you have as much experience in the area as the guide does.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

A lot of the wilderness hunts are early season hunts so the chance of snow is less.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

I'm mostly a predator/varmint hunter and have intentions of of doing a few hunts per year way -way out yonder.

I'll be moving out west Co.-Id.-Mt. in about a year. Maybe this was for big game hunting only.
With todays modern equipment like a gps [or two] and the right stuff in your backpack a level headed person should be fine.
The people who posted this felt it was due to lobbying by big outfitters.If this is true i'd agree.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Check into the WYO wilderness. I think it only applies to out-of-staters.
Savage/ Broughton 23" .308
Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Ol'Mike,

If you're gonna have plenty and I mean plenty of time on your hands when you go west pick a central location to settle. MT, ID, WY, CO and maybe parts of UT are the the best. Predators and varmints are not very regulated in MT, ID and WY so you can cross the state line easily without regard for licenses etc. Don't know about CO.

Wyoming is way to windy to be habitable, Idaho is the same in some areas, MT is a good state as long as you stay away from ted turner contry.

bbob,
Early season hunts, no snow, you'll see [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Depends on where. Google earth to Loon Creek, north of Stanley. Snow @ times in late September and early October depending on how algore feels that year [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] In Southeast ID the goal is to have the cattle out of the mountains by Thanksgiving or you're in trouble. Up towards Salmon its probably a earlier than that.