Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

www.live-shot.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Gold Member

Re: [url]www.live-shot.com[/url]

John M.. i didn't intend to mix anything, i just wanted to get all i had on my chest off it in one go. I wasn't aware of a no ethics policy on discussions on here. Ethics is as big a part of hunting as any bullet, barrel, action or scope.
To the contrary of what you might think, i am interested in the use of the Amax on game and i will be discussing the issue with Steve Hornady within a couple of weeks.
I also see a place for the Amax within military circles and LE if it is such a good game stopper, not sure about the ins and outs of the Hague convention regarding plastic tipped bullets.
Pete
Old 02-28-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hary, there is a difference between a disabled hunter and a lard assed lazy slob with a blood lust.

I'm a lard assed lazy slob and I dont think it's right either. It's just for those who have too much money and never intend to eat anything that they kill. It's the age of the video game coming into reality.
Now the bullet debate----wound one and chase it (if your not too lazy) for 11.5 miles and you will change your tune. Sometimes the best placed shots don't have the effect they should. I know a guy who white tail hunts with a 17 Rem. "drop em dead in their tracks". But that caught up with him. Your Gameking and Matchking bullets aren't going to land too far apart from one another----so shoot the deer with a Gameking and save the Matchking for the range.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

I've been a member for a short time, but this smk bullet debate is getting OLD.

Put a bullet any bullet through just about any animals Heart/lung DEAD.

Lets debate varmit bullets on deer. Jan. 2003 four deer in 90 seconds 55 b-tip .223. All dead within 30 sec. But I cheated and shot one twice. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

Cowboy, the problem is you ain't always presented with a shot that will let you get a match bullet into the vitals.
It would realy interest me to know how many deer per year the guys shooting them with match bullets are actualy shooting, I suspect it isn't very many. Varmint bullets on deer is just as irresponsible.
So i'll go first.
Ive shot 68 wild boar, 12 foxes, 47 roe deer, 14 fallow deer, 4 red deer, 1 seal, 2 pine martins, maybe 20 hares, 2 ferral cats, maybe 60 or so magpies, crows and jays all with game bullets during the hunting season that ended 1 hour ago. Thats 146 head of what could be called big game. and 84 varmints.shot at distances of between 2 meters out to 600m Of those 146 how many did i have to chase far, 1, that was a boar on a driven hunt that i unfortunatly gave to much lead and shot its face off, the though of it still haunts me. when it comes to taking game with rifle bullets then i think i have a valid opinion, and does it or does it not still say on a pack of SMK's, that they are not designed for use on game. If you shoot only 10 deer a year, then you maybe will be lucky and not have a major screw up with the use of match bullets, but i sure as hell hunt to much to risk it. I probably shoot more head of game per year than many professional hunters. Now i ain't braggin, i feel priviliged to be in a situation where i have so much hunting available to me, but would i risk using any bullet that stood even a 10% chance of not doing what i wanted it to do, NO.
Pete
Old 02-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

A-Max bullets for hunting

Taken directly from the Hornady Reloading Manual - 5th Edition:

Referring to the A-Max bullet - "This bullet is also excellent for hunting thin-skinned game."

That should settle at least part of the argument. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2005, 07:13 PM

Re: A-Max bullets for hunting

I have had more problems with hunting bullets than SMK bullets. Don't know how many deer i have shot, a few hundred and more than 1/2 with SMK bullets.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: A-Max bullets for hunting

Varmint Hunter, thankyou for that my friend. I will check it out with Mr Hornady and in the event of his recomendation i shall be trying them out on Roe deer.
Harv, i never said i hadn't had game bullet problems, i have,, ive had problems with bullets that where too hard for the game i used em on ( fails safes for instance) ive had corelokts come apart in my moderator, but most of the bullet problems we encounter come from poor bullet choice in relation to the game hunted.
on the numbers of game shot, i'm talking that many per season every season and not in a life time.
Pete