Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Worst Kicking Firearm?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Worst Kicking Firearm?????

10 gauge double, converted to 4.5 inches with brass shells. Back in the days of LR pass shooting for geese with handloads of #4 buckshot.

It was used to shoot trap also, ha ha, watched by buddy (aged 16 at the time) accidently trigger both barrels at once. He did three flips with a half twist. Judges gave him a 9.5 on style points.

Unread 09-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

probably the stubby little ak that tank crews got. Full auto SBR with a 75 round drum, started fine but it just seemed to push deeper and deeper into my shoulder with the abbreviated stock(i guess you could call it a stock), Loud as **** too. still smiled when it was over though.
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I've shot Ruger #1 in 375 and 416 with no ill affects other than seeing a bunch of blue sky after the shot.

The worst real physical pain was induced by a 338 Win Mag w/250gr bullets at about 2800 in a very light, poorly shortened stock (cut at a pretty big angle). I threw the rifle on the ground after the second shot and did a bit of a rain dance with a flopping right arm. Damn that hurt. The sad part was that the two shots were looing good @ 200. Went to the neighbors to borrow some 2" think heavy padding and finished the 3 shot group (about .7") [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I then immediately went to redoing the stock.
"did a bit of rain dance with a flopping right arm." I m sure it wasnt so funny to you but I couldnt help but chuckle when I read this

The 2 hardest kicking guns that I shot was a 10 gauge pump with 3.5 shell.

The most uncomfortable shot was with a ruger 300 win mag it had a skeleton style butt stock with a recoil pad as hard as a rock barrel and action was stainless . (pencil barrel) I was 15 years old and skinny . We had a catfish farm behind our house the ponds were loaded with turtles and all throught the day they would stick their noses up for air so I would fling open the back door at our house and I would lay down with only a t-shirt and let it rip. You can imagine what the top of my sholder felt like if you've ever seen one of these style rugers .
"Molon Labe"
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:08 AM

In 1976 I purchased a new .300 WBY. Cracked two different stocks directly behind the tang. WBY replaced both stocks free of charge. Second replacedment stock was absolutely beautiful. Sold that rifle to a block layer in Michigan who told me it was too much gun for me anyway. Yeah, right! To my knowledge, he personally shot this rifle less than twenty times. He has however, won significant money betting folks they could not shoot it more than five times off the bench. He has never lost.
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Worst one for me was my first 375 ultra. it was an XCR (about 6 lbs) no brake shooting 300 partitions....not fun.

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Ruger No. 1, 300 Wby Magnum. If you could install a cold chisel in the buttstock, it would make a dandy concrete breaker....
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

Not actually a "firearm" but the 120mm Rheinmettal cannon on the M1 Abrams. Recoil was handled by the hydraulic system, 70 tons of steel and the suspension system. Muzzle blast was where the fun was. Stand up on the loaders seat with your torso up out of the loaders hatch. When you heard "on the way" in your helmet headset it was only a half second away. Whammo!!!!

I swear it feels like your eyeballs and body change shape when that cannon goes off. Terrifying for a second or two after, then a huge smile takes over.