Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Worst Kicking Firearm?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Worst Kicking Firearm?????

I've shot Ruger #1 in 375 and 416 with no ill affects other than seeing a bunch of blue sky after the shot.

The worst real physical pain was induced by a 338 Win Mag w/250gr bullets at about 2800 in a very light, poorly shortened stock (cut at a pretty big angle). I threw the rifle on the ground after the second shot and did a bit of a rain dance with a flopping right arm. Damn that hurt. The sad part was that the two shots were looing good @ 200. Went to the neighbors to borrow some 2" think heavy padding and finished the 3 shot group (about .7") [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I then immediately went to redoing the stock.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Bronze Member

The 2 that hurt me the most were a stock Remington 600,with the plastic butt plate in 350 Rem Mag shooting 250gr bullets.I doubt if the thing weighed 7 pounds.The other was a custom 375 H&H that weighed about 8 pounds,and was built for a guy that was 6-7".It had an LOP of about 15", about 2" longer than I use.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

riot shotgun with the pistol grip with double OO buck, one handed. Not one of my brightest things that I have done in life.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

.50 encore with 150 777 300gr hornady .....and the ramrod with a brass jag on it. Still havent found that ramrod. Do not try this even if it looked cool when Daniel Boone did it on TV. At least I didnt need stitches, but I had to eat a lot of crow. I had made fun of three friends who had also accidentally left the ram rod in the barrel. All three of my friends needed stitches from severe scope cuts, so I was lucky.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

In high school my friends and I loaded shotgun shells and shot clay pidgeons down at the river. I made the mistake of loading a bunch of 12 ga. rounds in my friend's company so I was good and distracted (a no no). Well, I loaded a double charge of powder and I shot a bird with my Dad's Win M-12. It spun me halfway around and really hurt. My friends said I got the bird. I'll have to take their word for it, I was turned the other way. The shotgun was ruined. Froze up and chamber swelled. I could read the headstamp on the bolt face after a smith got it open for me. Dad thought it was a good lesson, I have to agree.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Festus
Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

I thought Weatherby's ingenious stock desing help cut down perceived recoil??? You wouldn't get me to shoot a 378 based anything w/out a brake, thats asking for it in my book.

I would have to say the most kicking SOB gun I have shot and own is my Remington 870 super mag w/ 3.5" 2.25 OZ #4 turkey loads. My dad bought me the shotgun when I was 12 and all of 100lb soak and wet, and I took it turkey hunting the following year with those 3.5" mags. I had no idea what was in store. We got a gobbler to come into about oh 50 yards or so, plenty close I thought with my super full choke and 3.5". Well I knew it was going to kick, but I had no idea on earth it was going to give me a bloody nose. It kicked me so hard that my right hand came up and wacked me in the nose. ANd to top it off, I didn't even get the turkey. I was still recooperating from the recoil and wondering what the heck just happened. I later read in a magazine that those loads have about 75lbs of recoil. Thats like pulling the trigger on (2) 300 RUMS at the same time. Ha ha ha, I still dont like shooting that damn thing to this day with those 3.5" 2.25oz turkey loads. Man just thinking about it makes my shoulder hurt.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:07 AM
SPONSOR

I feel for ya REm 06, those turkey loads will set ya straight in life.

Reading all these is making my day at work start a hell of a lot better, LMAO!!!!!! ANybody out there ever shoot the old Knight MK-85 that didnt have a recoil pad, just the curved hard plastic end???? man those things will light you up!!!!!

keep em comin
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST