Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Number of people killed by wolves = 1

Number of people kill by drunk driving = 13,846

Thanks for the facts Buffalobob. I didn't take from your post that we should shoot all the DUI's responsible but rather it caused me to put things in perspective.

I didn't let the imagination run wild with my response. Did you overlook the last sentence? Or neglect to include it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post

Perhaps we should go and shoot all of the people who drink and drive.
It was quite a change in gear from the Thread discussion. I don't know what to make of it. I don't pretend to know the thoughts of another - but there's the final sentence of the post.

Some family lost one of their own. That last thing they need now is to trivialize their loss - no matter how noble the intended cause. That explains the basis for my response.

Unread 03-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Phorwath, It was the word perhaps in Buffalobob's last sentence that caused me to take pause, think and reflect and took it as retorical versus we should kill all DUI's. I hope that clears up any questions you have.

I had no concern with your post and you owe me no explanation however it was considerate on your part to provide one.

While we've had this exchange the death count from wolves is still one and DUI death count has gone up by 42 to 13,960 so I'm going to leave the wolves alone and try to figure out what I can do to help reduce DUI death rate. I've gone to several websites to get some ideas but still looking so if you have any thoughts or suggestions let me know. Thanks.
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Platinum Member

There is nothing to do about drunk drivers, other than to drive defensively in the effort to avoid becoming one of their victims. There aren't enough jails in the country to keep them off the roads, unless we let the 1st degree convicted murderers and other violent types out of prison.

Might as well fix what can be fixed to keep the wolves record at 1 kill. The woman eating wolves will be dispatched by the State of Alaska as soon as the blizzard weather conditions lift at Chignik Bay. Aerial track and shoot by helicopter - no fair chase intended.

However, I'm certain drunk drivers will continue killing as they have since the invention of the automobile. Drunk drivers are like wars. There always has been - always will be.
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

Don't no why the topic of drunk driving has been brought up in this thread. Totally irrevelant to the original thread.
I am sorry for the family of this woman, and hope the wolves are taken out.
As far as controlling the wolf population in general, I am all for it.
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I think there are more wolf encounters than we get to hear about. We had one here in my neck of the woods last fall that never hit the papers. Evidently the powers that be decided that it did not need to be reported. A woman was walking her dog and was knocked to the ground by a wolf that was going after her dog.

I don't think the wolf got his fearsome reputation over the centuries because of his looks. We have very little documentation of wolf attacks because we were actively exterminating them. I am not calling for extermination, but I am not sure if there is enough room for both of us. The wolves that we have here in MT now seem to be different than the wolves that we used to have. We have always had small population. The wolves we have now seem to be much more destructive than what we used to have. I have read that they are not timber wolves, but tundra wolves. And that they have killed what few native wolves that we had.

I'll say it again. Pandora's box is open, and untill our people are hungry and feal an effect at the grocery store, nothing will be done about it. When it is decided to do something about it, it will be a monumental task. Teach your kids to hunt now so that your grand kids will be able to hear the stories.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska - Update

The weather cleared enough today to get planes in the air.

State of Alaska: 2

Wolves: . . . . .. 1

http://www.adn.com/2010/03/15/118482...sponsible.html

Last edited by phorwath; 03-16-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Unread 03-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
I think there are more wolf encounters than we get to hear about. We had one here in my neck of the woods last fall that never hit the papers. Evidently the powers that be decided that it did not need to be reported. A woman was walking her dog and was knocked to the ground by a wolf that was going after her dog.

I don't think the wolf got his fearsome reputation over the centuries because of his looks. We have very little documentation of wolf attacks because we were actively exterminating them. I am not calling for extermination, but I am not sure if there is enough room for both of us. The wolves that we have here in MT now seem to be different than the wolves that we used to have. We have always had small population. The wolves we have now seem to be much more destructive than what we used to have. I have read that they are not timber wolves, but tundra wolves. And that they have killed what few native wolves that we had.

I'll say it again. Pandora's box is open, and untill our people are hungry and feal an effect at the grocery store, nothing will be done about it. When it is decided to do something about it, it will be a monumental task. Teach your kids to hunt now so that your grand kids will be able to hear the stories.

Steve

+1. saveelk.com details a few of these encounters, but I know myself of several others (among many more I don't know about) from family and friends in MT that were quite threatening in their nature. Have had several close encounters with the critters while kayaking along the west coast of Vancouver Island over the years. Wake up with wolf tracks in the sand circling the tent, or a huge 'pile' deposited 20' from the tent that wasn't there last night, etc. Landed on a beach all of a sudden there's a wolf standing 40' that's not that interesting in moving off, etc. The other's I've run into, tucked tail and ran the other way, however. There's been several attacks on kayakers by wolves on the west coast of Vancouver Island over the years, one of them mentioned on saveelk.com.

They are here to stay now but need to be handled like AK is handling them--like WY wants to. The idea of introducing to MT, ID and WY a non-native subspecies that was not here in the first place using hunting taxdollars in part to finance it and then calling this new subspecies endangered--what irony, what abuse of common sense and the law as a means to and end and what a joke.

Now they spreading to every other state in the west. A couple of years ago, it was documented the WA had it's first pups born over by Winthrop. OR has them, CO has them, NM has them.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl