Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
PW, i went and tried to edit but it wouldnt let me change the title. AJ
After clicking on 'Edit' in the lower right hand portion of your first post, then click on 'Go Advanced' in the lower right corner of the edit screen. At that point you will be allowed to edit the Title of the Thread. After editing the Title, click on 'Save Changes' and the mission will have been accomplished.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Re: wolf attack

I would much rather have read this headline in the papers this morning..." "Courageous young woman defends herself from a pack of marauding wolves with a legally carried handgun, while jogging in remote alaskan wilderness"

Safety starts first with the attitude that "i will not become a victim." The statistics would show that her life was probably a lot more threatened by varmints of the 2 legged variety than by wolves, but the fact is, you just never know what might happen. I am a pretty tough sorta fellow in reasonable shape and can handle myself well i feel, but i carry a firearm everywhere i go. The moral of this story should be , 'Be Prepared'. AJ
Old 03-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

10-4. These wolves could have met a different end, and the story could have ended differently. This poor lady is the first documented 'unlucky' victim of wolves in our State. One of the few ever documented in world history. Coulda, woulda, shoulda... I'm fully with you. But I've been born and raised to hunt, trap, and fish. She undoubtedly had a different background, and in all honesty, none of the locals in Chignik Bay or any other community of Alaska would have been raising the warning threat of killer wolves. Until now...
Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
One of the parents were interveiwed and stated that "she would not want the wolves killed" so i guess she took her chances and died for her efforts.
I think her parents are wrong. I'll bet she wanted those wolves dead when they where chewing on her and she was still alive.

Last edited by WildcatB; 03-12-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Bullets View Post
I think her parents are wrong. I'll bet she wanted those wolves dead when they where chewing on her and she was still alive..
Slippery Rock, PA - nah that thinking is typical for that college town. Damn near messed up the rest of my life by almost attending Slippery Rock State Teachers College back in the late 50s. I count that as a near miss.

"We were later told that you can shoot an animal if you are threatened is this true?"

The key word here is "can". The argument between "can" and "may" comes after the "can" happens.

Bobcat and Cougar skirmishes are a regular feature of outdoor life around Los Alamos NM. Most people from the Lab wouldn't even consider carrying a defensive weapon while outdoors.

However, the Los Alamos is one of the most heavily weaponized towns in the country.

Tracks in the snow have shown that me and my hunting buddy have been seriously evaluated by grizz and cougar though no incident occurred. We never knew they were there......
Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Me an my hunting buddies have had packs follow us in the mountains several times, this is only going to get worse. One buddy had to actually fire warning shots to try to keep them far enough away till they got to the truck in the dark. NOT cool. Wolves come into ranch yards all the time here, they are more bold than a lion of bear or even a coyote. Mt killed around 250 last year and we still saw a 4% increase in pairs. Hopefully the quota will be in the 300 range next year.
Sad that some one got killed but in this predator happy time you have to pack, shoot first ask questions later!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Check out these two links:

Wolf Attack - HuntingBC.ca

They are Getting Close!