Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
We were later told that you can shoot an animal if you are threatened is this true? If it is true couldn't the residents carry a pistol while walking and jogging and if threatened shoot the wolfe's legally?

bigbuck
Perfectly legal to kill an animal in the defense of life or property in this State. Sad story for this young woman was she was a relatively new arrival to Alaska, and was involved with the educational system (may have been a school teacher). She was an active athletic type and was out walking jogging to get some excercise. She was probably told the bears were all in hibernation and didn't feel the need to be packing a firearm in the middle of winter. It would be fair to say she wasn't a seasoned Alaskan with experience in the wilds of Alaska. Had been in Alaska for less than one year and was in a foreign local and environment.

I'm almost always packing a firearm when I'm out and about. It doesn't happen frequently even with bears, but all it takes to end a life is one unlucky incident. I've bumped into brown bears in my own yard on more than one occasion. Been stalked by a black bear in the mountains while hunting black bear. Easiest bear ever. He snuck up on me from downwind while I was sleeping. Pasted him at 20 feet with 7mm Rem Mag & 160 gr Nosler Accubond while he was staring me down. One shot corrected that bears attitude. Good thing PETA wasn't there - I'd have been lynched.

Last edited by phorwath; 03-12-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: wolf attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Current U.S. human population estimates.

Number of people killed by wolves = 1

Number of people kill by drunk driving = 13,846

Perhaps we should go and shoot all of the people who drink and drive.

Nope shoot the idiot's that legalized it !!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Current U.S. human population estimates.

Number of people killed by wolves = 1

Number of people kill by drunk driving = 13,846

Perhaps we should go and shoot all of the people who drink and drive.
I may be taking this the wrong way, so I'll give this post enough respect to ask the question(s); What is your point? 1) That the life of a human killing wolf deserves value and respect equivalent to a human? Or 2) That human killing drunk drivers should be shot & killed in common with human killing wolves?
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

phorwath, i may do that...

BB,I am not in any way insinuating that there is a wolf/people problem here that is going to get out of hand. As far as i am concerned, anyone who hikes/jogs in remote areas such as this with no concern for their safety deserves just what she got. One of the parents were interveiwed and stated that "she would not want the wolves killed" so i guess she took her chances and died for her efforts.

My concern for the wolf and the idiocy of transplanting them back into portions of the country where we have worked for a hundred yrs to get rid of the damn things is the fact that they are decimating our game herds. All the touchy feely wolf huggers out there should be made to witness the taking down of an elk and eating it while it is still alive, or better yet just eating the tounge and leaving the rest.

Make no mistake about why the huggers have done this. Now that we have the worlds best predator doing our killing for us, there is now no need for hunting as a game management tool. AJ

Last edited by dogdinger; 03-12-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Perfectly legal to kill an animal in the defense of life or property in this State. Sad story for this young woman was she was a relatively new arrival to Alaska, and was involved with the educational system (may have been a school teacher). She was an active atheletic type and was out walking jogging to get some excercise. She was probably told the bears were all in hibernation and didn't feel the need to be packing a firearm in the middle of winter. It would be fair to say she wasn't a seasoned Alaskan with experience in the wilds of Alaska. Had been in Alaska for less than one year and was in a foreign local and environment.

I'm almost always packing a firearm when I'm out and about. It doesn't happen frequently even with bears, but all it takes to end a life is one unlucky unlucky incident. I've bumped into brown bears in my own yard on more than one occasion. Been stalked by a black bear in the mountains while hunting black bear. Easiest bear ever. He snuck up on me from downwind while I was sleeping. Pasted him at 20 feet with 7mm Rem Mag & 160 gr Nosler Accubonds while he was staring me down. One shot corrected that bears attitude. Good thing PETA wasn't there - I'd have been lynched.

man you Alaskins must be tough Bumped into a brown bear while in your own yard , I would hate to be mowing the lawn round the corner of the wood shed and their stands something that thinks I would make a good snack Oh well then again you wouldn't have to go far to hunt....

maybe someone will start a Thread/ poll about dangerous encounters in the wild...

bigbuck
Old 03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I may be taking this the wrong way, so I'll give this post enough respect to ask the question(s); What is your point? 1) That the life of a human killing wolf deserves value and respect equivalent to a human? Or 2) That human killing drunk drivers should be shot & killed in common with human killing wolves?

Man you've got a slick way with words I like it !! I'm going to go so I don't get into trouble

bigbuck
Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

PW, i went and tried to edit but it wouldnt let me change the title. AJ