Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

They wont come right our and say it , but.....

Autopsy: Animal fatally mauled teacher in Alaska - Yahoo! News

Last edited by dogdinger; 03-12-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

I watched the news report last evening with great interest. I've trapped, snared, and hunted wolves over the years. I've also read and researched the matter of wolf-human interactions. Wolves attacking humans is a very rare, hardly ever documented, incident. But the Troopers and Fish & Game have as much as concluded that wolves killed this young lady based on the medical examiner's report. I'd like to know more details to judge better for myself, but the details are evidently withheld to respect the family members. Sad times for the family members for sure.

Alaska government has a long history of being pro-wolf control, over the objections of the PETA-type groups. In spite of those objections, we currently have active wolf kill/control programs in action. Shooting from planes is legal. Fish & Game will even track, spot and shoot wolves from helicopters when the situations get dire enough.

This wolf killing of this lady will make it that much easier for the State to continue focused wolf/predator control programs. I know what I'd be doing if I lived in Chignik Bay. Wolf hides are worth about $300 last I knew, and I know where to find a few. The trooper interviewed on the news last night made it clear the locals, Fish & Game, the State Troopers, alone or in cooperation, intend to extract some revenge in the hopes of preventing a second sad story from this small community down on the remote regions of the Alaska Peninsula. I would hope they employ a helicopter to assist in the effort, although I don't know how much snow cover they currently have down there. Snow comes and goes down there due to the ocean influence on temperatures.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Re: wolf attack

here's another interesting one...coyotes this time

Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes, park official says - CNN.com
Old 03-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
here's another interesting one...coyotes this time

Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes, park official says - CNN.com

I wonder if they where mis-identified as coyotes. I know wolf-lovers are trying to blame coyotes for obvious wolf kills on full grown cows.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

I hate that this took place, I read some of the comments that folks were leaving concerning the wolf attack In the link that you provided. I really can't say what I would like to say to those individuals maybe if it happens to one of their loved ones , then they might get their head out of the sand. this may be a dumb question but those of you that have wolfe's & yotes is it possible that they can cross breed and if so have you seen this happening?

BigBuck
Old 03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wolves Kill Woman

Wolves and coyotes are, by nature, mortal enemies. Wolves will commonly kill coyotes at every opportunity. I don't know if it's scientifically/biologically possible for them to cross-breed successfully or not. I know coyotes and dogs can, and do, breed successfully.

Anyhow, I don't believe there are any coyotes in the Chignik Bay area. Only wolves and fox. And brown bears. But bears should be in their dens this time of year and there were no bear tracks at the location of the killing. Only wolf tracks...
Old 03-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wolves Kill Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Wolves and coyotes are, by nature, mortal enemies. Wolves will commonly kill coyotes at every opportunity. I don't know if it's scientifically/biologically possible for them to cross-breed successfully or not. I know coyotes and dogs can, and do, breed successfully.

Anyhow, I don't believe there are any coyotes in the Chignik Bay area. Only wolves and fox. And brown bears. But bears should be in their dens this time of year and there were no bear tracks at the location of the killing. Only wolf tracks...
Thanks, I wonder if once that the wolves get a taste of human and see how easy it is if the problem will only progress if so they really have a problem on their hands. I know in the past that if a bear does this they usually put it down , Is that how they handle bears in Alaska?

Bigbuck