Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Wolf Tags available in Idaho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wolf Tags available in Idaho

If anyone on the forum is interested on hunting a wolf in Idaho. I can steer you in some directions of where I have seen them. I'll have my tag shortly.................

Randy
Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
If anyone on the forum is interested on hunting a wolf in Idaho. I can steer you in some directions of where I have seen them. I'll have my tag shortly.................

Randy
Where do you live? I'm in Twin Falls and also have property in the Clearwater area. I've seen 53 wolves in the past 8 years. Most of them have been in the East Fork of the Salmon River, Elk River, around Dworshak Reservoir, in Stanley Basin and the Wood River Valley. Saw a pack of 5 west of Fairfield last year. All that I saw were in range of my 300RUM. Don't know if the 250 reached them or not. Now did I just say that???
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Gold Member

Gone Ballistic, I am in the Carey/Picabo area and most of the wolves I have seen are basically north of that area. I am on a 400 acre ranch and they chased and killed a coyote next to my barn last November and I have seen two of them twice. So far they have not bothered my horses and it seems that when the elk are around, they are too. There is also a pack hanging around the mormon hill area which is north of that area in the Pioneers.

Randy
Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Silver Member

I'm familiar with that area. I've hunted a few antelope around that country and shot quite a few doves over there years ago. There used to be a lot of elk out of unit 49 and the Fish Creek area that wintered around Carey. Since the wolves came I haven't noticed the elk I used to see when driving up to Arco. Most of them were between the southern outskirts of Carey to above the hill going to Arco. I would imagine the wolves have pretty much done them in like everywhere else they're located. How long has it been since you've seen a wolf? Are you seeing any elk wintering anymore around there?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Todays Spokane paper has encouraging news regarding the upcoming Idaho wolf season.
F&G proposing if you can believe it. 1) No quota, 2) 2 tags per calendar year, 3) Season August 30-March 31, 4) E-callers OK, 5) Some trapping tags possible in the Panhandle.
Personally I'm a lot surprised, frankly a little shocked to hear them come out this far. I hope it becomes law, if it does I'll certainly happily eat a few words. Good luck if you've got your tag, keep your eyes open if you're wait and see like me, cause a season with that much opportunity to be afield I'll find away to take advantage of. Anybody know what Montana's plan is looking like?

Last edited by HARPERC; 07-10-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: add to
Old 07-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

I've been heavily involved with working with the Idaho Fish and Game Commission on the up comming wolf hunts commencing in August and running through March 31, 2012. My primary efforts have been centered on the allowing of electronic calling machines (e-calls). I want to thank the over 230 of you that responded to my email and sent iin your comments to include e-calls to the commission. I truly feel that e-callers give the wolf hunter the best chance at locating their prey and filling their tags. As conservers of wildlife, we, as hunters, need to bring the over-population of wolves into sufficient control. By doing this, each animal species should be able to sustain a reasonable population down the road. My only hope is, that in the zeal of the anti-wildlife, anti-hunter, wolf lover's lack of honoring an agreement made to reinstate wolves in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, through their continuous lawsuits, our other game animals populations are too low to be revived. You folks have proven you can't be trusted and will never have any of our support again. Hunters and fishermen supplied all of the money, work and habitat improvement that sustains our wildlife right down to the food the glutenous wolves enjoyed. You folks just made rich lawers richer. I don't have any antimosity for the wolf, but they, as well as all wildlife competing against man for habitat, must be controlled as they have no natural enemy in our states other than man. Next time you think that there needs to be more than a balance, thin yourselves to make room for them, for you invaded their territory first.

Last edited by Gone Ballistic; 07-10-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

I really appreciate your effort on the E-calls. What we're encouraged by from a non-resident point of view is the length of season, and lack of quota. I can plan a hunt and know I've got an opportunity. Probabilities that a guy will eat the tag are high with wolves, but let me have my time in the woods. Our group probably won't combine our hunt with another tag, plan at this time is to focus on just wolf, maybe a cougar tag if we're calling a bunch.
I actually have tremendous respect for the wolf as a game animal, and also have no animosity. Out of all the players in this re-introduction scheme the wolf never lied to us. Some haven't stopped yet!
A little excitement here in the dog days of summer, others are headed to the lake,I've got to get my caller mailed in for update, checking the snowmobiles are ready, and getting an ATV fitted for tracks. I keep reminding myself it's still just a proposal.