Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Wipeout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Bronze Member

Wipeout

Has anybody noticed wipeout being less effective in the cold. Cleaned my rifles at the range today noticed no real evidence of copper. Got home and ran some wipeout through them again let them sit for the same period of time and found it to be removing plenty of copper..
Old 01-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wipeout

Hey guy ! ,

I would'nt be surprised if it is affected by the cold .

As I am a professional grass cutting man I feel especially qualified to answer questions about chemical reactions of all sorts .

For example , when its really cold water just dissappears ! Lest you doubt before investigation I can assure you that if you put some water outside when its reallly cold then come back in a few hours the water is gone !! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] aaannnnd some reallly hard stuff has taken it's place .

Now , I realize that one such happenstance is insufficient data to form an opinion in these matters so I offer one more as that should be overwhelming evidence that weird stuff happens when it's cold .

When it's reallly cold , now listen carefully cause this is a mind blower , when it's really cold your fingers forget how to work !!!! this is an indisputable fact that has been documented by more hours in the duck blind than there are ants on the earth . Then when it warms up they all of a sudden remember ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]or should i say hot !

To wrap up this scientific treatise I suggest that probably is what tis happening with the
Wipeout , it gets cold and forgets , it warms up and remembers .

One more thing , you can blame all this zanyess on our very own Buffalobob, cause as I always told my Mom " he started it ! " ( go look at the question about eyes topic , you'll see [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) Oh , yeah , JBr1000 and Abinok have a lot of exp with stuff .

Jim Brown
Old 01-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Bronze Member

Never had that happen before, but living in South Texas doesn't really offer me much of a chance at cold weather...
Old 01-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Gold Member

How cold is cold?
Ive got some fireforming to do today with my 300WM... Its about 30degrees here. if thats anywhere near your temps, ill leave teh rifel in the garrage tonight with the wipeout in it and see if anything happens.
Oh, are you using accelerator? I started using wipeout straight, then after I got the accelerator, I like it a whole lot more. My 300 coppers BADLY!!!! and will now come clean in one application with the accelerator, after I use some GM TEC for copper. CR 10 takes about 3 hours to get the copper out, with maybe 30-40 patches. The wipeout will do it in the same amount of time (with the accelerator) with 4 patches. Definately my favorite cleaner now! I may just have to photo the next cleaning cycle and post it along side my CR10, Coppermelt, Sweets, and proshot but I digress...
If youre not using the accelerator, id be happy to squirt some in a bottle and send you some so you can try it...

Hey Jim, pics on the way, let me know what you think!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

My basement is 65degrees, so i cant comment on that one...never used it in the cold [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Call Terry Paul and talk to him: http://www.sharpshootr.com

JB
Old 01-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Bronze Member

It could be that when it's cold (and I don't know the definition of cold in this case) the metal in the barrel contracts slightly, closing off any tiny crevaces where copper would hide.

I'm no chemist so I have no clue as to temp effecting Wipeout.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:38 PM

I'm not a chemist, but usually chemical reactions are slower as the temp. drops. This is probably what is happening in this case.