Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Wildlife Photography -which camera, which lens?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Gold Member

Wildlife Photography -which camera, which lens?

Getting frustrated, took my camera ( an Olympus family digital type) out today, got a few of what has become my standard sort of a photo:

Not exactly magazine material, is it!? I have to get so close to even vaguely fill the viewfinder...and then contend with shutter lag...that I don't seem to progress beyond this sort of shot.

I need to 'up-gun' a bit. I want a camera with low shutter lag and a lens that equates to about a x10 bino.

For the money I want to spend, I'm thinking Nikon D50...but haven't a clue as to lenses.

...I'm sure some of you have been down this path already; grateful for any advice!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wildlife Photography -which camera, which lens?

Well you cold also try a spotting scope in which you can plug the digital camera.... that´s a LR objective for a camera¡¡
Old 03-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Bronze Member

I would look at the Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D70 with a BIG lens (ie Canon EF 300-600) That will get you up close, and personal with that deer's rear!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Nikon coolpix 880.

If you want to try digiscoping try a Swarovski HD spotting scope with a FIXED power eyepeice and a Nikon coolpix 990 (they dont make anymore) Ebay ussually has some used for cheap.

Look here at this article: http://www.digital-nature-photography.co...digiscoping.php

The quail was taken through a Swarovski (NOT HD) scope and a variable power eye peice. The elk was taken with the same setup but at over 1/2 mile away in high wind and VERY low light. Imagine no wind and a better spoting scope set up! Cammera was a coolpix 990.

Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:12 PM
PUBLISHER

Brown Dog

I have been known to take a wildlife photo or two. I have a D50 as my car's glove box camera, always with me. This would be a good choice on a budget. I'd consider Nikon's 70-300 digital lens for about US $150.

If budget and weight are no concern go for the D2X body and a 600/4.0 lens for about $11,000 and 20 pounds of weight.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

I also second, or third the digiscoping idea. My buddy has the swarovski HD, and a nikon camera. It's super fun, takes great shots at a long long way away. good luck, let us know what you decide on.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

All,
Thanks, I'd never even heard of digiscoping before!

Michael's link made for some interesting reading; some excellent photos ....
looks like an excellent solution; as well as an excuse to buy a good spotting scope!

....one thing I can't work out is whether you are literally just taking a pic through the scope eyepiece, using a connector to hold the camera in place or if something more complicated is being done...

to try the concept I just tried clamping my binos (10x42)in a tripod, putting my camera against the eyepiece and taking some photos. Vignetting was awful and the camera wouldn't focus sharply.....

..I tried every variable, zooming in, bino eyepiece in for spectacles or out, camera on macro etc...does this mean my camera will be unsuitable for digiscoping...or have I misunderstood the 'camera attachment method?

...I can see I'm going to have to get into my nearest expert shop to answer all this! ..but any thoughts gratefully received!