Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

This is why I don't like most other hunters I meet *pics*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: This is why I don't like most other hunters I meet *pics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I can understand that it wouldn't be that great to look at while out enjoying the outdoors but what does it hurt ? around my neck of the woods cattle farmers usually have a dump pit for dead cows and sometimes their not covered up . what is the difference with dead deer ? Wouldn't wild life take care of the remains.

BigBuck
Exactly all of the decaying matter wil return to the Earth, if not eaten by predators or scavengers
Old 04-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, eventually nature will handle it, just hope they're far enough out of sight that the anti's don't have a field day.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Yes, eventually nature will handle it, just hope they're far enough out of sight that the anti's don't have a field day.
That is the problem, public land dump sites are just that public, any one and every one has an opportunity to see them and form an anti-dumpers/hunters opinion.

Rancher bone yards on private land is completly different.

I tracked down the dumper of 9 deer carcasses this winter, all dumped on a town road and 3 of the deer had only the backstraps removed. I gave him the oportunity to remove the carcasses and told him when I catch him the next time I won't be the one at his door.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Jim, glad you spoke up. Aside from the obvious reasons, it's the anti's that worry me the most...and you know the likes of CNN or NBC would probably run it...however briefly.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Silver Member

I can not tell from the pics, but if they were mostly intact animals have you thought about asking you Department of Transportation. The reason I ask is, I found a sight like this and found out is was the State police or department of transportaion dumping road kill. Just a thought.

If its poachers, set up an trail camera and try to get some pics.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Gold Member

I found these on a gravel/dirt road in the Black Hills National Forest, not very far from a main highway and only a couple of miles from Mt Rushmore. Since the weather is getting nicer, more people are getting out and enjoying the outdoors. The biggest industry of this area is tourism. All it would take is one tree hugger to see this dump site and it would be all over the news.
With all the snow we had over the winter, it was impossible to tell when these animals were killed. But by comparing the carcasses it appears that some were killed fairly recently, and it's been awhile since the season was in.
No one would want to see this in their yard. So why is it different since it's in the National Forest? Your yard belongs to you but the NF belongs to everyone. What if you lived across the road from this dump? I doubt anyone would say that it was ok since the carcasses will rot and return to the earth, sooner or later.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 04-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys46 View Post
I can not tell from the pics, but if they were mostly intact animals have you thought about asking you Department of Transportation. The reason I ask is, I found a sight like this and found out is was the State police or department of transportaion dumping road kill. Just a thought.

If its poachers, set up an trail camera and try to get some pics.
That is the problem with this thread, it is titled "This is why I don't like most other hunters I meet" *pics*. Yet no hunters were ever met in this thread and he has no idea who dumped the carcasses. It could have been the DOT dumping road kill just as easy as it could have been someone else.

This thread is a thin vieled attempt to cast hunters in a negative light with out any proof what so ever