Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Why is it 'bbl' ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why is it \'bbl\' ?

[ QUOTE ]
Matt, i blame Elmer .. Be.. Be.. Be.. Be.. Bawell

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you think!
Old 03-31-2006, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Brown dog should go hide in the closet. It is all his fault in the first place. It stands for "British Barrel" and was used to replace the term "hogshead" because people did not like buying a hogshead of beer. It just sounded bad to be drinking beer from a hogshead.

BBL is now used to measure how much oil it takes to fill up a big tanker ship so when it it is all spilt into the ocean nobody understand just how much was spilt.

All of y'all have distracted me from getting a windmeter ordered and now my daily schedule is all shot.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

Buffalobob,

What an outstanding abbreviation it is then!

A 'standard unit' for British beer!

(How embarassing not to have known [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] !)

....having had a quick search, I notice some also claim it as 'blue barrel' from Standard Oil. ...I'll go with the beer!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
(How embarassing not to have known [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] !)

[/ QUOTE ]Indeed! - Waiter! another furkin of your finest Ale for this gentleman. <hic>
Old 03-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Most probably for the same type of reason that the housewife cut the short end of the ham off before cooking it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Now here's the rest (or all) of the story.....

Seems a friend years ago asked me over to his place for dinner and the menu was ham. So I gets there and we start talking about cooking and stuff like that. The wife says she always cuts the end off hams 'cause her mother did it that way and they were really great. Her husband says "Wait a minute. Don't you remember your Mom cut the end off those hams 'cause they wouldn't otherwise fit in her small but favorite ham-cooking pan?" The wife just stands there; quiet and thinking, thinking....then she just goes about her business of getting dinner ready. That ham was great.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Gold Member

"tank" comes from the first british tanks... which, to prevent the enemy from figuring out what they were, were refered to in design, and early transport as "water carriers". After all, the first ones looked like water carriers. Naturally, military quickly shortened this to "WC" the british term for a restroom... or rather, a closet with a toilet in it. The designers, engineers, military guys, and pretty much everyone else wasn't real fond of telling their loved ones they were working on a armored "WC", and as such it became refered to as a "water tank". For whatever reason, it wasn't shortened to "WT" but just "Tank".

for those of you who just have to know....
Old 03-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Brown Dog,
Another strange one is the term "front shoulder", as in "I aimed for his front shoulder". Where in hell is the rear shoulder [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]