Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Why is the 6mm so successful at matches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Why is the 6mm so successful at matches?

I was reading the comments on the thread BOTW really the best and didn't want to steal the post so I figured I would start a new one. People were talking quite extensively about wind. My question is why are the 6mm so successful in the comps. In the local F-class comps the Dagley's are usually in the hunt every time with the 6X47lapuas. Richard Schatz is one of the best with his 6Dasher Why? Here in ND we have wind and alot of it. How can they give up the weight and BC and consistently win? Experience? Can we make up shortcomings with experience and ability? We have alot of great shooters here and would like to hear some of their thoughts. I personally think experience(shooting and reloading) is the most important factor in long range shooting no matter what discipline.

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 12-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why is the 6mm so successful at matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipelt View Post
I was reading the comments on the thread BOTW really the best and didn't want to steal the post so I figured I would start a new one. People were talking quite extensively about wind. My question is why are the 6mm so successful in the comps. In the local F-class comps the Dagley's are usually in the hunt every time with the 6X47lapuas. Richard Schatz is one of the best with his 6Dasher Why? Here in ND we have wind and alot of it. How can they give up the weight and BC and consistently win? Experience? Can we make up shortcomings with experience and ability? We have alot of great shooters here and would like to hear some of their thoughts. I personally think experience(shooting and reloading) is the most important factor in long range shooting no matter what discipline.

In the long range or mid range formats, the bullets of choice of 6mm's are 95 grain VLD's up to 120 VLD's which have a ballistic coefficient in the range of .5 to over .6. These are comparable bc's to 30 caliber bullets in the 165-200+ categories. Couple this with small recoils, inherently accurate small cartridges and they will often outshoot the big whopper guns. My 6br improved has identical trajectories with my 300 win mag!

Put a well tuned 6br in the hands of someone who knows how to read wind flags and you will be surprised what he can do with it.

In short range, there are other calibers which drift less, but can't compete accuracy wise with the 6ppc. I've tried several things to try to beat the 6ppc and come to the conclusion it can't be done yet.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

Shooting competition is about concentration. The more you can concentrate the better you can do. As Goodgrouper stated the 6mms don't give up much if any BC to anything you can shoot well without a muzzle brake. You put someone on the line with a over .7mm or .30 or bigger. They might shoot better score on the first couple of shots but in the end recoil and muzzle blast will cause a lapse in concentration. At any level that lapse will show up on the target.
In a hunting situation you have that magical substance called adrenaline. Add alittle adrenaline to any shooter capable of making a shot or 2 and the recoil factor is negated.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

I have a switch barrel rifle for f class. One barrel is a 6 dasher the other 284 Shehane. Both shoot very well, but the dasher is a whole lot easier to drive than the 284. As stated before, concentration is a huge factor in f class. Usually, my dasher hardly moves off of the x ring. You can shoot 80 shots a day and feel like you did when you started. It is also a great deer round. I have killed two deer with it this year. One was at 500yds, the other about 100, neither one moved a bit.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys you pretty much said what I thought. My point I wanted to stress was practice.

With more and more companies starting to cater to long range shooting. It will make things simpler. Is this a good thing? Will people be missing something if they don't reload their own ammo?

I am trying to get some of the more experienced people here to post for some of the younger less experienced to learn from. Not everybody was as lucky as myself to have Nathan Dagley and Richard Schatz as mentors. The more I shoot and learn the less I really know. Funny how that works.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
In the long range or mid range formats, the bullets of choice of 6mm's are 95 grain VLD's up to 120 VLD's which have a ballistic coefficient in the range of .5 to over .6. These are comparable bc's to 30 caliber bullets in the 165-200+ categories. Couple this with small recoils, inherently accurate small cartridges and they will often outshoot the big whopper guns. My 6br improved has identical trajectories with my 300 win mag!

Put a well tuned 6br in the hands of someone who knows how to read wind flags and you will be surprised what he can do with it.

In short range, there are other calibers which drift less, but can't compete accuracy wise with the 6ppc. I've tried several things to try to beat the 6ppc and come to the conclusion it can't be done yet.

Very well said!! The PPC is the choice for short range but others are making progress. The 1k rifle I compete with is the 6.5 284----just a little bigger but the 142 SMK just shoots lights out and helps me win and get more points!! LOL!!!!!!

BTW---your question about shooting out west this year---kind of doubt it because of the 2 day drive but never say never!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

The 6mm are good out to 600, after that you start giving up too much to the 6.5mm and the 7mm rifles. It's like everything, they are good but they can only take you so far.

You see alot of 6mm at the Midrange championship, 6BRX, Dasher, 6XC, and 6X47 Lapuas to name a few, but at the Longrange Championship there are mainly 6.5mm and 7mm. 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5-284, 284, 284 Shehane, 7 SAUM, and one or two 7WSM's.

So as far as 6mm being more accurate I would say only out to 600 yds., after that it's necessary to burn more powder!

-X3M