Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Who killed this elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Who killed this elk?

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boul...s-elk-mapleton

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Who killed this elk?

A lot of ways to look at it, but my intolerance of aggressive animals was imprinted early. It would likely gotten the better of me.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 AM
Gold Member

If the Police did shoot it then they have done the right thing.
This person saying , " I wish the Police had found a better way "
Well they would be suing the Police if they left a waited for another way and someone got gored to death in the interim because the animal was not dealt with quickly.
A large dangerous animal acting aggressively and refusing to leave a private residential area is a threat to public safety.
I wish we had effective and decisive Police like that .
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Gold Member

Based upon the results, I wonder if the Police have considered using this as a model for dealing with meth houses?

A few of those comments are great!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
If the Police did shoot it then they have done the right thing.
This person saying , " I wish the Police had found a better way "
Well they would be suing the Police if they left a waited for another way and someone got gored to death in the interim because the animal was not dealt with quickly.
A large dangerous animal acting aggressively and refusing to leave a private residential area is a threat to public safety.
I wish we had effective and decisive Police like that .
Colorado Division of Wildlife deals with reported animals acting aggressive or any that will harm the public.

Wildlife - Frequently Asked Questions

Residence of Boulder have lived with bear,lion,elk,deer and PD for years same as most towns in Co. If that elk was chasing acting aggressive or going to harm someone or that police officer then he has right to kill it. Problem with this deal is it wasn't called in after and you sure don't take picture like they did. The boulder campus brings more lawsuit against the DOW to protect even PD rights and the town carters to those students it's like a small Calif in boulder. It's unwritten law you don't kill animals in Boulder

Boulder police suspend 2 officers over Mapleton elk shooting, sheriff launches probe - Boulder Daily Camera
Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

I thought i would post this in case anyone wanted to go....AJ

The elk that was shot and killed Tuesday, relaxing in a back yard near 10th and Mapleton in Boulder on Dec. 26. ( JEREMY PAPASSO )

A candlelight vigil is set for 5:30 p.m. Sunday on Mountain View Road in memory -- and to celebrate the life -- of the bull elk that was killed late Tuesday night on Mapleton Hill in Boulder.
Many members of the public have been moved by the violent demise of the large elk that was fatally shot by an on-duty Boulder police officer, who has since been placed on paid administrative leave, pending the results of an internal investigation. A second off-duty officer, suspected of assisting in loading the animal's body into a pickup truck and taking it away to be processed for meat, was also placed on leave.
The elk had been spotted for several weeks on Mapleton Hill between 9th and 11th streets, and residents of the area gave conflicting reports as to whether it had behaved aggressively toward humans.
Numerous people living in the neighborhood insisted that it had not, that it appeared to be healthy, and said that they considered it their "guardian."

All are welcome and the event is open to the public.

Read more: Candlelight vigil set for Boulder's fallen elk - The Denver Post Candlelight vigil set for Boulder's fallen elk - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
Colorado Division of Wildlife deals with reported animals acting aggressive or any that will harm the public.

Wildlife - Frequently Asked Questions

Residence of Boulder have lived with bear,lion,elk,deer and PD for years same as most towns in Co. If that elk was chasing acting aggressive or going to harm someone or that police officer then he has right to kill it. Problem with this deal is it wasn't called in after and you sure don't take picture like they did. The boulder campus brings more lawsuit against the DOW to protect even PD rights and the town carters to those students it's like a small Calif in boulder. It's unwritten law you don't kill animals in Boulder

Boulder police suspend 2 officers over Mapleton elk shooting, sheriff launches probe - Boulder Daily Camera
And this means what? The Police have the right by law to protect the public and if that means shooting an animal then they can . Whether they did or not and whether they acted correctly or not could be an issue who knows . Were you there to witness what happened and did you see who shot it ?
Even if the Police did shoot an Elk so what . It may not have got called in because they did not see it as a big issue .
Even if they did act inappropriately it's hardly worth suspending someone over a dead animal . Jeez what happens if you accidentally shoot a person in the line of duty , the death penalty . Sheriff launches probe ! what a wanker .
This could have just been handled internally with a caution and some duty punishment .