Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

whats wrong with THE BEST OF THE WEST

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: whats wrong with THE BEST OF THE WEST

grit

I went back through my dvd set and it did show them taking the hunters out practicing busting rocks for a day before the hunt, so I think that is great and might look kinda bad to anyone who does not have the dvds to see that aspect. I think mostly now it isnt much differ than any other hunting show, just go out and shoot. At least when burns was on there he did bring practice, advice, equipment and techniques to the show which is what i was interested in not just another go shoot animal show.

But I could be wrong haven't watched it in a long time.

But I still dont like the part of them shooting animals in the skyline on public hunting land without knowing what is beyond the animal. Best of the west may have had problems with Burns but you have to admit he was a good host for their show.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Like I said, I've only seen the videos. I didn't take issue with anything I saw there. But then I watched it for entertainment. I didn't critique it for what it might teach my kids. Throughout the video John mentioned not shooting long unless you were experienced. He also showed a couple rookies taking long shots.

He had two ideas to promote. 1. shoot responsibly. 2. Anybody can do it with our system. Tough to promote both ideas without seeming to contradict yourself.

I think the seeming contradiction stems from simple misunderstanding. Having a novice long ranger take a coached shot with tried and true equipment is a far cry from average Joes poke 'n hope 'til the ammo's gone. It is my opinion the former is acceptable, the latter downright scary.

As an aside, aybody know what John's up to these days? He used to be a regular here. Argued a lot seems like. Beyond Belief is yet to be equaled, as an entertaining long range video. I'm sure looking forward to Shawns and Goodgroupers!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

i would like to know what hes is up to myself. the show has gone down hill since he left. i am surprised that no one else here has tried to make a show like this, there is no doubt that i didnt know how to do this until i watched there show years ago. i guess i can blame them for all the money and time. i guess its also johns falt about my trophy room getting cluttered.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
Fact is, with a solid front and rear rest, all a body has to do is break the trigger without pulling the crosshairs off. I can set up the vast majority and coach them through a succesful trigger break.

Most folks can learn to shoot long in a day!

The real work and experience comes in setting up the equipment and reading wind. Load development, drop testing, etc. I'm not saying long range shooting doesn't require experience. I'm not saying inexperienced shooters should be flinging lead and hoping. I'm saying these guys are shooting fully tuned and tested rifles and ammo. They are shooting from adequate rests. And they are being coached through the set up and shooting process. Perhaps they should explain this!

I teach a one day long range shooting class. A full half my students have never shot past 300 yards. Not once has one left at the end of the day without consistently ringing steel at 1k. Instruction can leapfrog you through years of learning!

Again, I'm not taking issue with the idea poorly equiped, unaided, inexperienced shooters shouldn't be taking long shots. Or the seeming hypocricy on the show. Seems what is needed is a little better clarification of the shooting situations. I must admit the only shows I've seen are the videos. Perhaps the shows have deteriorated since Mr. Burns moved on.

I just want to point out, it really isn't that difficult! Seems a lot of folks have the misconception long range hunting is extremely complex and difficult. Aint so! Not that it can't be! However, I have coached several green shooters through thier first long range kills. These kills were made using my (properly tested and set up) equipment, and basically my experience. There's nothing wrong with that!

Great summery about the long range shooting process. I couldn't agree more. Before I found this site, I thought it would be impossible for me to hit a 10" gong at 1000 yards. I followed the steps outlined in the articles and posting on this site for setting up a gun, developing loads, a drop chart, and practiced my trigger pull quite a bit (still do). Then on my second shot at 1000 yard the gong started swinging. The first shot missed because I didn't adjust for windage. I've been hooked ever since.

By the way, NOBODY that I tell about it believes it. Even relatives and life long friends, until they see it.

Paul
Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

PSTIMAC,

I hear ya on that nobody beleives until they see it. I guess that is one reason I have started so many guys down this path.....I hope they do not get mad at me because they will be forever broke and in search of reloading componants.

Once the steel rings they are hooked....it is like crack I am telling ya
Old 12-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

To answer the question of what John Burns is up to - go to www.greybullprecision.com
Old 12-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member

Beautiful rifles, hell of an effective system. I hope he does well.