Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

whats ur opinion on best long range varmint caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 PM

whats ur opinion on best long range varmint caliber

Im looking into buying a rifle that i could shoot around the 1000 yard range and make an effective kill on varmints. i need a gun dedicated just to long range varmint sniping. what would be my best set up. i also plan on reloading the cases. if anyone has a pointer or opinion, by all means.
thanks for any and all feedback.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 AM
SPONSOR

Re: whats ur opinion on best long range varmint caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle curt View Post
Im looking into buying a rifle that i could shoot around the 1000 yard range and make an effective kill on varmints. i need a gun dedicated just to long range varmint sniping. what would be my best set up. i also plan on reloading the cases. if anyone has a pointer or opinion, by all means.
thanks for any and all feedback.
Prairie dogs, coyotes?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

.338 Lapua and a 300 gr SMK.

1000 yards is a long ways if it's windy, watch that heavy steel target blowing. Nice shot Joe!

YouTube - 1000 gopher.wmv

Enjoy.

Jeff
Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

In order to make a recommendation on the best 'set up' we would need a lot more information from you like budget, what equipment you might already have, preferences etc.

Without all that I'll start the debate with a caliber recommendation....6mm (.243) or larger. Forget the high-power .22s
Old 02-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

uncle kurt,

i had pretty much the same agenda last yr and i learned a whole lot from jerry teo's article "building a long range rifle on a budget" . you might read thru the discussion threads about this article and see what he says. I ended up building a 6 X 284 and could not be happier with the results. good luck....AJ

Last edited by dogdinger; 02-18-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typo...
Old 02-18-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Prairie dogs, coyotes?
ill be hunting anything coyotes and smaller, so need a shot strong enough take down a dog effectively.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
In order to make a recommendation on the best 'set up' we would need a lot more information from you like budget, what equipment you might already have, preferences etc.

Without all that I'll start the debate with a caliber recommendation....6mm (.243) or larger. Forget the high-power .22s
Budget, not to sure as of what to expect. Willing to pay for whatever it takes to create a strong steady rifle. Would i be looking at $1500? Maybe $2000 when done? Maybe your laughing cause i dont know what to expect. Just want an idea basically of what ill be looking at for price.

As for personal preferences, would like a caliber that i would have a wider range of bullet weight choices and also not to hard to reload. ie. finding brass or tips. Im new to longrange hunting and also not to familliar to all the kinds of guns available so not sure where to start. All i know is that ill need a steady bullet when the wind picks up.