Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What is your occupation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What is your occupation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHEAD View Post
Well,I would say you've wasted 3 years already. The miltary will pay 100% , if you are on duty. Getting 100% school paid for and a job/paycheck the same time , how much better??? Everyone has to take requirement courses. And all in a pretty neat place to live. Electrician, hard way to make a living. Go for it young man!!!
I respectfully disagree, today's GI Bill is better than most full ride scholarships, provided he has it that is. What you do while you're in service is a different story. I retired from USAF in 2007 and earned two Master's Degree and I still have $40K left in my GI Bill --- spent my 1st 10 years in avionics working F4s and A-10s and the last 10+ years as management analyst. I am still working for the Dept of the AF as a civil service/management analyst at Malmstrom AFB.

Arrow, PM me if you need any help. Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
Over the last 4 years I have concentrated on one thing and that isn't going to really help me out in the real world.
Infantry?
I say the same thing all the time, I'm almost worthless outside the military. At least I will be young enough when I retire that I can start new. It is very hard to get a degree when you do not have a schedule and can spend weeks at a time in the field (not counting deployments). The good thing is that a lot of your military stuff can give you college credits. Schools, correspondence courses and other on line courses can add up quick.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Bronze Member

Bravo 4 hit it right on the head. My schedule has been so unpredictable I haven't really been able to commit to anything outside of the military. Thanks for all the responses guys, keep them coming. I'm still looking for something to really spark my interest.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Like the others, I want to thank you for your service. I'm so appreciative of everything that our armed men and women do so I can do what I do.

I am a junior high and high school science teacher and school counselor. It's not something that will make you rich, but it is a very rewarding job, most of the time. Sometimes it's just challenging as hell, but mostly good. It has given me several opportunities to showcase my students abilities as well. Last year we started a full scale catapult contest, and we had 8 schools show up with different styles of catapults and trebuchets. We made a day, a school day, of shooting 16 pound bowling balls as far as we could, and the students had over 400 spectators come to watch the event. It was a ton of fun, and allowed my students and I an opportunity to combine our loves of physics, ballistics, the outdoors, and building that was simply an amazingly fun learning experience! I just shared that to show one of the rewarding experiences.

Here is a link to check it out if you want to: Thrills In The Hills

Anyway, teaching is always a job that will be in demand. Best of luck in whatever you choose!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

I'm a RF Engineer in the always changing and volatile telecom industry.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a retired machine builder and also a machine repairman. Not a lot of work over here in the machine building trades anymore due to the Asians killing the market with their junk. I also have a degree in mechanical engineering, but would have gone into the metalurgical engineering field has that sheep skin will open doors everywhere.

Now days my main occupation is checking beer quality and fly fishing. (waiting for the ice out).
gary
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

I wasn't in the military , I was a late maturing young lad who bores easily but is making a carreer as a wellfield manager for a coal mining company . It seems that there is a demand for individuals with common sence that are self motivated.