Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What is your occupation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

What is your occupation?

I am currently in the military and have about a year left on my contract. The plan is to go to school at Montana State University in Bozeman. Over the last 4 years I have concentrated on one thing and that isn't going to really help me out in the real world. I have been pondering and talking to people about what I could major in and what I could do for a career but still not sure. I figured I would ask some of the people here with similar interests as I what they do for a living and maybe get some ideas.

Thanks,

Zack
Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: What is your occupation?

I'm a bail bondsman. Thou would not recommend the profession. If I bade it to do over again I would go into the medical field.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

Arrow,

First off let me say that a stint in the military will help you very much in the real world. I spent 3 years in the Navy back in the early 70s and that experience helped me figure out what to do for a career. I was in the Naval Air Force in a squadron that trained pilots to fly attack bombers. One day I noticed some of the guys working on the electronic stuff on the aircraft. I started asking questions, got a book or two on electronics and I was hooked. When I got out, I got a degree in electrical engineering and had a blast for the next 30 years designing electronic gizmos for the aerospace industry. My gizmos got used on rockets, space vehicles, satellites, jet aircraft, ICBMs, and lots of other stuff.

I didnít know that nobody was hiring engineers when I started school to get my degree and I probably wouldnít have cared if I did know as I loved doing this work (to me it was a hobby that I got paid to do). By the time I did graduate, there was a shortage of engineers and I could write my own ticket which of course I did.

The bottom line. Figure out what you are good at and like to do (take a test if you have to) and find a way to get paid to do it. Donít spend you life doing something you donít love or your career will turn out to be a job. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Assistant superintendent of the local water plant, apparently soon to be the superintendent. Boss has had enough.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

Helicopter Mechanic. Served almost 6 years in the Marines and got out in 2008. Got my FAA Airframe and Powerplant Licence. The pay is good and I enjoy going to work everyday!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogremccloud View Post
I'm a bail bondsman. Thou would not recommend the profession. If I bade it to do over again I would go into the medical field.
Coming up on 40 years in the medical field. I think its likely peaked. We share too many client LOL! Somebody got the idea its cheaper to keep polysubstance abusers in ICU than jail. Seriously some good careers in and out of patient care. Lots of payment issues to be sorted out. Durable medical likely leave the country over Obamacare, as well as local issues. Not saying don't just saying be informed. It's changed, and will change more.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Well,I would say you've wasted 3 years already. The miltary will pay 100% , if you are on duty. Getting 100% school paid for and a job/paycheck the same time , how much better??? Everyone has to take requirement courses. And all in a pretty neat place to live. Electrician, hard way to make a living. Go for it young man!!!