Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What would be your shot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

What would be your shot?

Scenario:

You've planned and prepared for you hunt for 6 months. You're set up for as much as a 1K shot if conditions are favorable. Your rig is plenty for the bull elk you have been dreaming of.

After a 1300 mile road trip, you arrived at your selected main camp site 6 days ago. Camp was set up in fine style on day 1. Day two and three were spend getting the ambush/hide setup with range chart development. Elk were seen moving through the area during these two days. Your hopes are high for success.

Season opens for bulls on day 4. You are up before dawn and head for the hide after morning activities are complete. Before day light the LRH accoutrements are set up. As day light approaches all is ready and you are behind the spotter. Switching between spotter and binos you continue your observations continually adding ranges to landmarks on the range chart. The LRF is handy ready for use.

You see elk now and again. Nothing but cows moving through with a few spikes. Nothing large so far.

This is repeated all of day 4 and 5.

Day six arrives. You know that this will be the day, as it is the last day of your hunt before you head back to the J. O. B. You feel it in your bones.

The day is overcast, a the first light snow of the season fell while you were snugly tucked in your tent. You heard the snow on the tent in the night. You are pumped!

After seeing a couple of cows with calves passing through your area you are wondering why the herds are small and crisscrossing the area? Hmmm, what's with that?

You see movement in an unexpected direction about 500 yards towards what you have come to know as "That Bare Ridge" as the top of it is so bare that it isn't worth checking regularly.

Out come the binos. . . horns . . . moving . . . he's gonna top the ridge.

The binos are replaced with the LRF. Range the rocks on top of the ridge. Nothing but clouds behind it. You slowly lower the LRF until you hit the precise top of the skyline. While this is going on you can confirm with your own eyes that the horns are headed directly for the ridge. Three reading return 635 yards. Your heart is pumping!

You get set up behind your rig. Rig is leveled on the bipod, elevation turret is set to the correct. The over cast day has zero wind with it. A good thing! Parallax is adjusted. YOU ARE SET!!

With out any optical assistance you see the elk is on a high headed trot. Why is he in such a hurry you wonder. There has been no bugling and no cows are seen? Hmmmmmm.

He approaches the skyline and into the scope. Not a trophy but definitely a shooter. You quickly review you set up. You are ready.

You steady yourself behind you rig. Elk walks into the sight picture you blink a couple of times to clear your eyes. . .

HERE IS WHAT IS IN YOUR SCOPE!!
.WHICH SHOT WOULD YOU TAKE? WHY?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What would be your shot?-elk-wolf.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What would be your shot?

The Gray!! He looks a little bigger. Roy would you have taken the Black? The only other shot in that pic would be to hold and wait to line em up for a pass through double.

And I am dead serious.

Jeff
Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

I like the double idea! If I ever get around to buying a big 338 I'd like to triple
Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

At the ridge top waiting for the double or triple is greedy and may cost you the whole deal.
I've shot bigger elk so making him #3 is an easy choice. The gray then the black time permitting. I've got a 6.5-284 semi-auto in the works for just this occasion. Most likely in the scenario given I'd have my .338 RUM so I'd focus and make sure of one, and hope they break back my way.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Is that a tracking collar on the black?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I know "ethics" is a naughty word when it comes to distance, but, now and then some of us get a verbal spanking for shooting at something on a ridgetop. You know, the whole, "you don't know what's on the other side, you shouldn't take the shot."

The simple answer for me is the black wolf hands down. I'd really like to know if it is wearing a collar. Gray wolf is #2. The bull is not a shooter for me. He needs about 2-3 more years.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Great post Roy. The grey....then would just take things as they come. The elk would live a little longer guaranteed.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein