Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: What would you do under these circumstances
Watch a second beautifully furred black bear walk 49 98.00%
Drop him right there, haul him off and nobody knows what happened 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

What would you have done under these circumstances

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member
Re: What would you have done under these circumstances

If someone made an honest mistake, where the hunters map showed that they had the right to hunt there, then charging them is something that I would not have done.

Certainly the landowner had the right to, but if MY NEIGHBOR gave someone permission to hunt his land and the guy inadvertently came on my property, while I would be pissed, I would take him back to my neighbor and make sure he knew about the situation.

No need to be an ahole toward you neighbor! Someday you might just need some help out of a ditch and if you can't count on neighbors then you may be stuck for a long Winter it could cost you your life!

Unread 09-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

In my younger days i would have drilled him. but as we get some age on use hopefully the smarts come with it. i would have still shot him with my 35mm. the older i get the more fun i have with the camera. that way when i pull the trigger the fun isn't over like with a rifle and the work begains.

nonya how big is your ranch????????
Unread 09-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

I got permission to hunt an 800 acre dry farm. I crossed over into the neighbors property by accident. The farmer who gave me permission told me what I did. So I went to the neighbor to apologize. He had no idea. He thanked me, said not leave any gates open and welcomed me to hunt his property as well. So between the 2 farms and adjacent Natl.Forest land I have access to over 4,000 acres . Just 2 other guys and myself.
Pays to do the right thing;)
B R A S S- Breathe Relax Aim Stop Squeeze
Unread 09-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

My hunting buddy and I once each shot spike bulls about an hour apart with our bows. This is one of my fondest hunting memories. Lots of high fives, back slaps, and general good times. We took care of the meat. Got everything ready to come back the next morning and pack it out.

It was about midnight as we were hiking back to the truck. We came to a fence with a locked gate, and we were on the wrong side of it. Now this is one of my worst hunting memories. We had gotten onto private land during our hunt with out knowing it. Never crossed a fence or any thing. I know that it was our responsibility to know where we were, but we did not.

Long story short. The next day, after not being able to sleep, we smuggled our elk out. It was not fun, we felt like criminals.

Hunting is not about the kill. It's about the experience. I would much rather watch the animal, and be glad for seeing it, than do it wrong.

The folks that have responded to this thread all sound like great guys. I would join you in the field.

Good hunting to you all,
Hammer Bullets
Advanced Technology
Simply Better

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 09-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

On that elk hunt I was talking about the rancher gave us the map marked with the property we could hunt on. It showed the property as legal.
Predictions are difficult, especially when they involve the future
Unread 09-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Been there done that----no other choice but the right one!!!!!!! Let it walk---Anything else is wrong and I would personally call the GW if I knew about it!! Done that before with poachers on our land!!
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
Unread 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Aside from just doing whats right...Karma is one ruthless B!$%& Take that bear and I would bet you pay for it for a long time with bad luck in the field...
"My greatest fear is that after my demise my wife will sell my guns for the price I told her I paid for them"
-don't know where it came from...but true